Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best-in-class medicines to patients around the world.
Pfizer's Vaccine Research and Development organization has been at the forefront of making history and improving human health - including creating some of the most complex and most sophisticated vaccines in the world, designed to tackle a wide range of infectious diseases of large unmet medical needs in people of all ages. What You Will Achieve
The High-throughput Clinical Immunoassays & Diagnostics (HCID) group within Pfizer Vaccines Research and Development is seeking a biologist with experience designing neutralization and bio functional assays.
As a Principal Scientist
in the Neutralization Assay Group, you will be responsible primarily for generating high-quality bio functional data in a regulated laboratory setting to support Pfizer's Phase 3 vaccine programs. This position functions as a senior member of the Neutralization Assay Group and will manage a small team of laboratory scientists. As an integral member of this dynamic team, you must have a strong work ethic and be highly collaborative with group members. All work is to be done in a compliant manner according to relevant SOP and GLP guidelines, when required. You will author and review documentation to support the life cycle of the assay, including reagent qualification reports, responses with regulatory agencies, and internal and external presentations. The responsibilities also include reviewing clinical data and quality control data to monitor assay performance.
As an expert, you will use your scientific acumen to validate bio functional assays and address specific project requirements. Examples of collaboration efforts across multidisciplinary teams include Clinical & Diagnostic Assay Development, Cell Culture Team, Automation Group, Project Management, Quality Assurance, Research Informatics, and Statistics, as well as appropriate partner lines. How You Will Achieve It
- Manage viral or bacterial assay to support late-stage clinical testing, including leveraging a team of scientists to execute project goals and deliver compliant results according to program timelines
- Design strategy for the execution of clinical testing to meet program timelines
- Lead a team of junior scientists to execute project goals
- Author and review documentation supporting the life cycle of the assay, including assay test methods, reagent qualifications, and other supportive documentation
- Manage the preparation and qualification of new reagents
- Perform experiments related to the optimization of bio functional assays
- Provide scientific input on experimental design and data analysis
- Supervise activities of direct reports, provide scientific leadership within the neutralization assay group, and foster teamwork, trust, and coaching among team members
- Provide scientific strategy, analyze experimental data, draw conclusions, and propose future research plans
- Communicate experimental results at team meetings with group members and senior management
- Promote the use of novel experimental approaches within therapeutic area; routinely investigate/create innovative processes, hypotheses, and methodologies.
- Stay current on scientific and technical literature plus attend relevant scientific meetings to apply new technologies and/or scientific principles
- Participate and organize cross-functional team meetings
- MS with 9+ years relevant industry experience, or a PhD with 4+ years of experience
- Strong background in immunology, microbiology, virology, and/or bacteriology is essential
- Familiarity with assay validations preferred, but not required
- Experience working in laboratories operating under GLP guidelines, including SOPs, instrument IOQ/PQ, and good documentation practices
- Demonstrated leadership ability through project management and mentoring
- Proven delivery of objectives in a complex matrix environment
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced, changing environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Physical / Mental Requirements
- Classic virology, immunology, or microbiology expertise
- Experience with laboratory automation, including Hamilton automated liquid handling workstations
- Managerial experience within a regulated environment
- Experience within an industry setting preferred, but not required
Basic laboratory training in aseptic technique is essential. Ability to work with infectious agents safely. The capacity to work effectively in a highly visible research program with time-constrained milestones. OTHER JOB DETAILS
Eligible for Relocation Package
Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development