Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
As a Scientist, you will be at the center of our operations and you'll find that everything we do, every day, is in line with an unwavering commitment to quality. You will be part of a team that is addressing the critical task of rejuvenating our pipeline with innovative, differentiated First-In-Class/ Only-In-Class programs in the years to come. This will be addressed by generation of strong data packages from target hypotheses derived from academic outreach and initiatives. You will be an essential member of this team and creatively design and execute key experiments to address the basic and translational biology of novel drug targets, their molecular pathways, and their connection to human disease. You will support projects in one or more therapeutic areas of interest to Pfizer including Immunology, Oncology, Immuno-Oncology, Neurodegenerative Disease, etc.
With your deep knowledge in the discipline, you will be an active team member who influences at the project team level. You will be using your scientific judgment to adapt standard methods and techniques by applying prior work experience and consulting others. Your ability to plan will help in preparing short-term work activities on projects. Your creativity in developing novel processes and new ideas will be used frequently. You will undertake mentoring activities to guide your team members.
It is your innovative scientific temperament that will help in making Pfizer ready to achieve new milestones and help patients across the globe.
The Discovery Fibrosis Group in the Inflammation and Immunology Research Unit (I&I) is looking for a motivated, innovative and enthusiastic researcher to join our group in studying the interplay between macrophages and fibrosis and developing novel therapeutics for the treatment of fibrotic diseases. This Senior Associate Scientist will work in a matrix structure within the department supporting both in vitro and in/ex vivo studies that investigate mechanisms for fibrosis and novel targets and assets for the Discovery Fibrosis Group. The ideal candidate will have an immunology background and the drive to learn new assays and technics. The candidate will be a key contributor in delivering data and recommendations for decisions of proposed and active fibrosis programs.
The Senior Associate Scientist will support a cross-disciplinary team of scientists focusing on inflammation and fibrosis. The team collaborates across research units to develop novel therapeutics at the intersection between immunology and these respective disciplines. He/She will help conduct experiments in breaking areas of science, collaborate with others to employ cutting edge technologies including high-parameter flow cytometry, optical microscopy, high content screening, systems immunology and single cell RNA techniques.How You Will Achieve It
- Contribute to achievement of goals of the team and influence at the work group/project team level.
- Apply technical skills and functional knowledge to projects/ assignments within own work group/ project team independently and proactively.
- Perform laboratory experiments to help establish robust disease biology, biochemical and cell-based compound screening assays and carry out in vivo evaluation across a broad array of target classes for the project teams.
- Prepare and present experimental results to project teams.
- Comply with all safety training and good laboratory practices.
- Culture primary fibroblast from different tissues for target validation, drug screening, assay development, and technological advancement.
- Run high-parameter flow cytometry for target validation, drug screening, assay development, and technological advancement.
- Run high-parameter tissue imaging to validate target expression and determine cell components and localization.
- Support ex vivo studies as needed within Fibrosis Group through isolation of cells from tissues for analysis using multiparametric assays including flow cytometry, histology, and biochemical assays.
- Collaborate with other Discovery and Preclinical groups in I&I as well as key individuals in relevant partner lines.
- Maintain high quality experimental records within electronic laboratory notebook.
- BA, BS or Masters in biotechnology, biology or related field with 1-5 years of laboratory experience relevant to this position.
- Must be scientifically self- motivated and capable of independently conceiving, conducting, and critically analyzing their own innovative research with minimal supervision.
- Experience with primary cell culture (fibroblast, PBMC).
- Experience with cell isolation from tissue.
- Experience with high-parameter flow cytometry.
- Experience with high-parameter immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence.
- Experience with immunological assays.
- Experience with assay development methodologies.
- Knowledge in molecular biology.
- Ability to conduct data analysis using Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism, FlowJo, or equivalent software. Experience in R preferred.
- Ability to complete experiments and present results in individual and group settings.
- Ability to learn novel skills and flourish in a highly-matrixed organization as well as work well within multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to make recommendations to effectively resolve issues by using sound judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Non-Standard Work Schedule, Travel, Or Environment Requirements
- Experience with key techniques and protocols such as histology, imaging, nucleic acid isolation, high parameter flow cytometry, CRISPR/Cas9 Knockdown, qPCR, and ELISAs.
- Ability to adapt quickly and triage new targets that arise from ongoing discovery efforts in the group.
- Willingness and ability to learn and apply new techniques.
Other Job Details:
- Work Location Assignment:On Premise
- Relocation support available
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.
\nPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development