About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
Under direction the Research Business Manager (BM) supervises daily Research Business Operation's procedures through analytical and administrative staff. Independently manages mid-size research portfolio. The BM implements procedures and utilizes sound judgement to communicate and guide staff and faculty. The BM has expert knowledge in the areas of research administration and COH policies, procedures, and systems. The BM operates with a working knowledge of management and leadership competencies. This is a work from home (WFH)/remote position. Key Responsibilities include:
Research Administration & Financial Management
- Review and approve financial reports and analyses for assigned team portfolio
- Prepare and develop departmental budgets using actual and projected data
- Prepare and approve Labor and Non-Labor Cost Transfers
- Manage extramural funds, resource allocation, and comprehensive forecasting of average spending.
- Review and approve purchase requisitions, check requests, reimbursements, travel authorizations and business expense reports
- Under direction of the BD, implement long-range financial plans, analyses.
- Coordinate and assist in development and submission of complex multi component proposals
- Review accuracy of personnel time and effort reporting in ecrt system and work with OSR and PI to update/correct errors.
- Work with PIs in handling patents, intellectual properties and clinical trials as required.
- Effectively collaborate on a continual basis with Office of Sponsored Research, Research Protections, Research Data Management and other collaborators
- Advise departmental administrative staff on research administration related items
- Lead personnel actions for department staff and/or faculty as requested, including but not limited to:
- Initiate internal hiring processes, recruitment, and onboarding of faculty and non-faculty.
- NES onboarding (visa requests, English proficiency evaluations, AccessNet, login ID, Outlook, etc.)
- Coordinate logistics (postings, etc.) of employee recruitment
- Manage staff and faculty time through Centricity and approve time sheets to payroll.
- Assist in department business activities, including but not limited to: purchasing, facilities, travel, and reporting required by the institution.
- Assist and coordinate in areas of building and equipment safety and maintenance and other services.
- Coordinating lab safety training, lab coat services, and other general lab support.
Management and Leadership
- Conduct regular meetings with staff to review workload productivity, current events, problems and potential areas of concern.
- Manage Research Operations Analysts and other administrative staff.
- Administrative (HR) oversight of departmental staff
- Coaches and mentors analysts and administrative staff.
- Conduct periodic performance feedback meetings with and complete annual performance reviews
- Supports BD and Sr. BD in strategic planning process
- Represents research business operations and research operations as a whole on organization-wide committees as assigned by senior leadership
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Bachelor's Degree (any discipline)
- 3 years of administration experience in an academic research or healthcare environment including 2 years of progressively responsible management experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in business, finance, business administration, research administration, science, or related field is preferred
- 5+ years of business management experience in an academic research or healthcare environment is preferred. 2 years of progressive responsibility supervisory experience.
- This position is remote and invite applicants outside of our immediate geographical location to apply.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.