About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.Position Summary
Assists the Executive Director, Clinical Research Care Coordination (ED CRCC), in the responsibilities for the daily operational needs of the Clinical Research Nurses (CRNs) in the Clinical Trials Office (CTO). Demonstrates in depth knowledge and understanding of oncology outpatient treatment, management patient care principles, standards of practice, social determinants of health and impact on transitions of care. Provides supervision of employees, participates in hiring, assigns work, coaches and teaches, evaluates performance and completes disciplinary actions. Actively works to ensure optimal delivery of care, execution of research, as well as performance improvement initiatives. Able to actively collaborate with peers, subordinates and supervisors in constructive problem solving as well as to facilitate frequent team building interactions with staff.Key Responsibilities include:
Individual must have the ability to influence people though the use of effective communication and facts, participates in hiring, assigning work schedules, coaching, training, completes annual performance evaluations and provides disciplinary actions, as required. Responsible for participating in the oversight of daily operations, including staffing and scheduling of department staff to assure safe, high quality care for patients along the cancer continuum, and in the areas of oncology treatments, specifically in the research setting. S/he must have knowledge of the clinical research process and regulations and provide supporting patient education that supports the teaching from the clinical research team. Assures patient assignments in coordination with the charge nurses, and trouble shoots any patient issues with the unit manager with the guidance of the ED CRCC. Monitors identified quality performance improvement targets and data in coordination with other hospital departments and other members of the department leadership team.
Be a positive role model for assigned area(s). Encourage open and positive communication and provide excellent customer service. Advocates for COH, the staff and patients. Collaborates with internal and external customers to meet strategic goals. Is a change agent and encourages staff to participate in change. Monitors and controls resources (human and material). Encourages higher learning and professional development. Ensures staff competence and promotes professional practice standards through education and monitoring. Assures professional and regulatory standards are met and maintained.
Planning and goal setting
- Assists in the management and implementation of departmental programs and goals that support the strategic plan for patient care services and the organization.
- Supports departmental implementation of new technology and services.
- Effectively communicates (written & oral) across the organization.
Patient Care and Clinical Quality
- Supports standards for patient care management along the continuum of care utilizing nursing processes to assure patient care is timely, safe and effective.
- Assures satisfaction of patients, physicians and other customers with care and services that are delivered.
- Develops and fosters collaborative relationships with other departments to support safe and high-quality patient care and services.
- Assures compliance with regulatory standards.
- Measure performance of staff to meet regulatory and patient care standards
- Reports results of ongoing quality metrics as appropriate.
- Promotes the utilization of evidence based practice in delivery of patient care.
- Supports and facilitates critical thinking of staff.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Oversees daily operations including staffing and scheduling of department
- Participates in the hiring process.
- Participates in orientation and staff development.
- Fosters teamwork.
- Assists in the maintenance and monitoring of staffing plan.
- Provides oversight of temporary (registry/traveler) staff.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing
- Minimum 3- 5 years of experience in bedside (outpatient or inpatient) nursing;
- 1-2 years oncology nursing
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Current California RN License
- BLS from the American Heart Association
- MSN or applicable equivalent
- Case Management certification preferred, ACMA or CCM
- 3-5 years oncology nursing;
- 1-2 years clinical research experience; and
- 2 years in a demonstrated a leadership role (charge nurse role, leading, planning, and evaluating nursing practices or operations).
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.