Under the umbrella of the Gulf Coast Consortium (GCC), the GCC Center for Advanced Microscopy and Image Informatics (CAMII) is a CPRIT funded, multi-institutional resource designed to support cancer researchers in the development, acquisition and image informatics of challenging and translational projects.
The CAMII is seeking to recruit a full time Research Assistant I (RA-I) to support imaging-based assays and advanced microscopy experiments. The position would principally involve carrying out experimental work using previously-developed protocols, optimization of novel assay protocols, and imaging on the available instruments within the CAMII program. Teamwork, flexibility, multi-tasking, optimal record keeping and data sharing, strong communication (written/spoken) and interpersonal skills are all essential to a successful application. Prior experience with microscopy techniques is preferred; however, extensive training will be provided. Cell culture experience is essential and basic molecular biology knowhow is preferred (e.g., transfections, infections, cloning). The candidate is expected to report on assigned projects to team leaders in a timely manner. Job Duties
- Operate all the instrumentation needed for the projects (training will be provided as needed)
- Document experimental procedures in precise details
- Collect and compile imaging data
- Prepare reagents and solutions, and perform experimental work as needed, including live cell experiments and cell culture (2D/3D).
- Troubleshoot problematic results
- Directly interact and report to the CAMII team
- Maintain core laboratory organization, monitor lab reagents and do ordering
- Optimize novel assays and protocols under the CAMII team guidance
- Perform other related job duties as assigned
- Participate in the outreach efforts of CAMII
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in biological science or equivalent. A Bachelor's degree and two years of directly related experience is considered equivalent to a Master's degree.
- One year of lab experience is preferred
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.