The downstream process development (DSPD) team is seeking a highly motivated and innovative scientist to join our downstream purification technology development team. The successful candidate should have solid technical training in scientific and/or engineering discipline, preferably having biopharmaceutical industry experience. She/he will participate in multiple downstream process development projects for early or late phase program, with a focus on developing platform technology, continued process and product understanding and bringing innovation in adeno-associated virus (AAV) vector purification and characterization. The position will report to Downstream technology lead, the major responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Develop process solutions to technical problems of significant scope and complexity.
- Execute, evaluate, and interpret downstream process development experiments and provide recommendations based on scientific data
- Utilize technical expertise and sound judgment for troubleshooting technical problems and finding appropriate solutions
- Evaluate, select, and apply sound engineering techniques and procedures to process design, scale up and scale down.
- Present findings in internal and external meetings, author technical reports and publications
- Effectively communicate with internal and external partners to progress projects
% of Time
Job Function and Description
Working in the lab to perform experiments described above in the job primary duties.
Design the experiments, discuss the experimental plan, analyze the data, and provide a summary and further suggestion.
Identify, design and implement new idea/ technology to the downstream processes.
Prepare the presentation in either team meeting or various project meeting.
Education and Experience Requirements
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- PhD or MS in chemical engineering, biochemistry, chemistry, biophysics, or related area with -0-4 year of industry experience
- Individual experience may vary based on skillset and expertise.
- Possess a fundamental understanding of protein biophysics, transport, and separations. Some experience with protein separations is helpful.
- Knowledge of downstream process development of the biologics, such as viral vectors, monoclonal antibodies, vaccines, and therapeutic recombinant proteins in the biopharma industry is desired.
- Hands-on experience of AKTA, UPLC or equivalent system is preferred.
- Scientific publication record is plus.
Complexity and Problem Solving
- A desire to solve complex problems and the ability to think critically
- A thorough understanding of protein biophysics, transport, and separations. Some experience with protein separations is helpful.
- Ability to independently perform experiments and data analysis
- Attention to detail and precision in work
- Ability to understand, present and interpret data
- Self-motivated, flexible, and willing to adapt to shifting priorities
- An avid reader who stays informed of new scientific/technology development in near and far fields
- Excellent communication, organization, and multi-tasking skills
- Self-sufficient and able to work independently or in a team
Internal and External Contacts
- On a regular basis, the PD Downstream Scientist needs to work closely with PD senior scientists to design and execute various experiments
- Strong data organization skills, interpretation and troubleshooting are critical to be successful; New experiments should be designed based on available experimental data and scientific hypothesis; and executed the following experiments on time.
- Demonstrate independent problem-solving skills of technical issues; develop solutions to a variety of moderate to complex problems.
- Exercise judgement within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action
Other Job Requirements
- On a regular basis, the PD Downstream Scientist needs to consult with internal experts such as technical operation and R&D organization to discuss scientific and technical issues.
- If necessary, the PD Downstream Scientist needs to contact external experts, including vendors and consultants, to assess and evaluate new materials and technologies
Are there any other requirements such as below:
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must be able to wear appropriate all Personal Protective Equipment
- Must be able to stand for long periods
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.Learn more about Spark Therapeutics and view other openings.