The Center for Drug Discovery ( https://www.bcm.edu/research/centers/drug-discovery ) is a strategic research center established at Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) in Houston, Texas. The mission of the Center for Drug Discovery is to establish novel discovery technologies that enable rapid and cost-effective drug discovery within the academic community. We are seeking highly skilled and motivated scientists with expertise in biochemistry & crystallography to join the Center for Drug Discovery. Central to our vision is the continued establishment of a small-molecule discovery platform using a DNA-encoded chemistry approach.
The team, led by scientists with drug discovery experience in academia and the pharmaceutical and biotech industry, is looking to recruit a staff scientist. Baylor is located in the world-renowned Texas Medical Center and offers a highly interactive environment and a strong infrastructure for research and career development. As a member of this multidisciplinary team, you will:
- Participate in early stage drug discovery efforts in collaboration with biological and chemical scientists throughout the academic community, with a goal of bringing new treatments to patients with unmet medical needs.
- Contribute to multidisciplinary lead-finding project teams by engaging in the following activities: production, purification, and/or testing of recombinant proteins: screening of DNA-encoded chemical libraries; evaluation of compounds for efficacy in vitro (biochemical and cell-based assays) and in vivo; structural biology; x-ray crystallography.
- Conduct research utilizing biochemistry, recombinant protein production/purification, biochemical assay methodologies, molecular biology and/or crystallography
- Perform protein production and purification, molecular biology and vector construction, X-ray crystallography
- Work & communicate effectively in a team environment
- Doctoral Degree. Experience may not be substituted in lieu of degree.
- Three years of post doctoral research experience.
- PhD in biochemistry/structural biology or a related discipline
- Four years of hands-on laboratory experience in molecular biology/genetics and/or a related field and a track record of quality publications and/or patents in these areas
- Experience with one or more of the following: protein production and purification, molecular biology and vector construction, X-ray crystallography
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a team environment
- Exceptional writing and speaking skills
- Must be able to work independently and consult the literature to guide scientific efforts
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.