To strengthen our team in the division “Physics and Chemical Analysis of Polymers” in Berlin-Steglitz, starting 01.12.2022, we are looking for a
Research Associate with a doctorate (m/f/d) in the field of Polymer Sciences
Salary group 13 TVöD / Grade A 13 BBesO
Full-time / suitable as part-time employment
The position is rated at grade A 13 BBesO and can initially also be filled within the framework of a salaried employee relationship with corresponding value. If the personal requirements are met, the position may be filled at a later date.
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
Independent scientific work on questions concerning the characterisation of internal interfaces in heterogeneous polymer materials and the description of the molecular mechanisms of the structure-property relationship. Specific tasks include:
- Characterisation of internal interfaces in heterogeneous polymer materials to describe the molecular mechanisms of the structure-property relationship and their optimisation for nanocomposites, also with regard to ageing and recycling
- Design of experiment, measurement performance, evaluation and publication of results on dielectric broadband spectroscopy
- Design of experiment, measurement performance, evaluation and publication of results on thermal methods (DSC, flash-DSC)
- Design of experiment, application for measurement times, measurement performance, evaluation and publication of results on neutron scattering
- Further development of experimental and theoretical methods for the above-mentioned objectives and with the above-mentioned methods
- Collaboration in the development of material-related concepts for ageing and recycling
- Determination of property profiles of new materials through interdisciplinary cooperation within BAM and through national and international cooperation
- Independent acquisition of third-party funding projects
- Successful scientific university degree specialising in Polymer Science and a very good PhD
- Several years of experience in dielectric broadband spectroscopy, proven by publications in peer-reviewed international scientific journals
- Several years of experience in thermal spectroscopy, documented by publications in peer-reviewed international scientific journals
- Experience in acquisition and management of F&E-projects
- Experience in supervision of young scientists
- Confirmed practice in publication and presentation of scientific results
- Very good command of German and English
- Experience in X-ray and neutron scattering techniques (microporosity, nanocomposites) as well as methodological knowledge of nanotechnology is an advantage
- Good communication and information behaviour, goal-oriented and structured way of working, ability to work in a team and willingness to cooperate, willingness to learn as well as flexibility
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
We welcome applications via the online application form by 02.10.2022. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 265/22-6.6 to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM)
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Employees are requested to attach a reference from their last employer to their meaningful and complete application documents (curriculum vitae, doctoral/diploma/master's/bachelor's degree certificate and transcript, proof of career qualification, if applicable).
Civil servants are requested to attach their most recent performance appraisal to their application documents (curriculum vitae, doctoral/diploma/master's/bachelor's degree certificate and transcript, proof of career qualification, if applicable).
Prof. Heinz Sturm will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-1690 and/or by email to Heinz.Sturm@bam.de.
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a high level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the "audit berufundfamilie" since 2015.