Senior Program Manager
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biotechnology (BMB) and the Institute for Drug Resistance (IDR) at the University of Massachusetts Chan Medical School seek a full-time trained scientist/communications professional to take on an exciting new position as Senior Program Manager. Under the direction of Celia Schiffer, Ph.D. (Chair of BMB and Director of the IDR) or designee, the Senior Program Manager will 1) develop and implement marketing campaigns to increase BMB and IDR visibility, 2) build outreach programs to both the global science community and our local community, and 3) attract philanthropic support to help us achieve our goals. This role will include development and preparation of marketing campaigns, grant proposals, and social media strategies; drafting scientific communications targeting a wide variety of audiences; organizing local conferences and networking events; and engaging in fundraising activities.
The BMB department engages in groundbreaking research into the molecular mechanisms that govern basic biological processes with an emphasis on integrative approaches at the interface of biology, chemistry, physics, and math. The IDR focuses on the mechanisms that drive emergence of drug resistance in pathogenic infection, cancer treatment, and beyond, enabling new drug design strategies and therapeutic modalities. Both the Department and the Institute foster and support diversity and collegiality in their thriving research communities. Our combined mission is to enable outstanding research, train the next generation of scientific leaders, and provide service to the scientific and local communities through our outreach efforts.
- Work with the Chair or designee to research and develop effective and efficient public outreach, communications, and fundraising plans.
- Research, organize, and prepare grant proposal applications in support of department outreach activities.
- Prepare internal and external communications for the department to disseminate key advances towards our research, education, service, and diversity goals.
- Use multimedia tools and cutting-edge technology to create content that helps explain our research to a broad audience.
- Enhance traffic and engagement with the BMB and IDR websites through new content development, including departmental efforts to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Develop and implement marketing campaigns targeted to a wide variety of audiences, including planning and executing a social media strategy.
- Interface with the Office of Communications and Advancement to ensure best practices and maintain high professional standards.
- Perform other job duties as required
- Master’s degree from a science, health care, or communications program
- Three years of science / health care communications experience.
- Broad knowledge of social media platforms and professional communications.
- Experience writing grants and/or other scientific communications with publication.
- Experience using software tools for content creation (Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, content management systems, etc.).
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively communicate with leaders, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds and units.
- Innovative thinker with the ability to solve problems creatively.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment including frequent interaction with faculty, staff, and students engaged in life science research.
- Demonstrated ability in applying practices that foster a community that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ph.D. in a life science discipline
- Demonstrated experience with fundraising and development.
To Apply: https://www.ummsjobs.com/job/8063/