The primary purpose of the Senior Research Assistant position is to assist with the planning and implementation of laboratory experiments on research and clinical specimens and facilitate translational and clinical research projects in the Genomics Test Development Laboratory (GTDL) headed by Drs. Raja Luthra and Ignacio I. Wistuba.
Candidates with experience using high throughput sequencing (Ion Torrent, Illumina platform), gene expression platforms and Bioinformatics analysis are preferred.CORE VALUES
- Courtesy: Is respectful and courteous to each other at all times.
- Friendliness/Teamwork: Promotes and rewards teamwork and inclusiveness; is sensitive to the concerns of our patients and our co-workers.
- Reliability: Communicates frequently, honestly and openly.
- Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for practicing our values.
- Safety: Models safe behavior (wears badge and personal protective equipment, washes hands, and keeps work area clean and orderly); Notices a safety concern or emergency, understands role and uses proper procedures to report it; Mitigates risk to the institution through sound business practices; Demonstrates ethical and personal responsibility in work and behavior
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES Technical Functions
- Responsiveness: By his/her actions, creates an environment of trust; Encourages learning, creativity and new ideas.
- Personal Leadership/Self-Initiative: Helps others to identify and solve problems; Seeks personal growth and enables others to do so.
- Function in an independent manner, and have the ability to design research experiments.
- Discusses goals of each project with supervisor; with the help of supervisor, develops a step-by-step written procedure outlining the specific actions required to conduct the experiment before proceeding
- Ability to work on several research projects concurrently in an independent manner
- Evaluate new protocols/approaches for nucleic acid extraction and molecular analysis from Tissue and Liquid Biopsies.
-Evaluate and develop new approaches for Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) library preparation for Ion Torrent and Illumina platforms.
-Compile research data and submit results to for inclusion in publications, grants or protocols. Data analysis
-Design, analyze, develop and lead others in the development of algorithms and software used in the planning, implementation, and analysis of assay assessments, and validations.
- Coordinate the creation of user-friendly software tools.
- Direct and consult with users and other personnel in analyzing, defining and resolving analytical problems.
- Manage translational and clinical research projects involving computer applications under the direction of a supervisor.
- Develop, adapt and implement the best numerical solutions for statistical problems.
- Work with end users to gather initial requirements.
- Provide support for existing software systems as they evolve.
- Keep abreast of continually evolving analytical tools and strategies.
- Communicate with other team members to share information and tips Collaboration and Presentation
- Interacts and participates in collaborative studies inside and outside MD Anderson.
- Trains other research personnel and students on established assays, and use of laboratory equipment
- Presents research data at internal and external meetings and conferences
- Prepare final reports in the format requested for the data generated by suggested due date
- Willingness to learn and to help others in the implementation of new techniques
- Other duties as assignedData Maintenance
Enter and maintain data from research activities in notebook/computer databases as appropriate. Performs and documents all required quality control/quality assurance.
Maintains accurate, detailed records and experimental data and protocols
Prepares graphs, slides and tables via photography, computer, or manually.
Collaborates or assists supervisor and senior research staff with preparation of reports and grant requests.
Able to work with database, graphing and word processing computer programs such as Microsoft Excel, Power Point, Word and Pris
Other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field. Three years of experience in scientific or experimental research work. With preferred degree, one year of required experience It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html