The University of Minnesota Medical School seeks an innovative, driven leader to direct the newly-launched University of Minnesota Institute on Infectious Diseases (UMIID). UMIID is a cross-collegiate, cross-departmental institute that builds on the University’s unparalleled strength in infectious disease research that spans from basic to translational to clinical and finally to population research. The successful candidate will be strategic, collaborative, and able to leverage the resources available through the Medical School, University, and community.
The mission of UMIID is to develop innovative solutions to emerging infections, with the vision of bringing investigators from different backgrounds together to provide a multi-disciplinary and comprehensive approach to addressing diseases of pandemic or epidemic potential.
The University of Minnesota Institute on Infectious Diseases:
- Focuses on seven priority research areas: Zoonotic viral infections, Antibiotic resistance, viral immunology, HIV, infections related to climate change, tuberculosis, and molecular surveillance of emerging pathogens.
- Includes associated faculty with expertise in all aspects of infectious disease research, from basic to translational to clinical to population based research.
- Builds on long-standing strengths and collaborations across the University of Minnesota, including researchers in adult and pediatric infectious disease, pharmacy, microbiology, immunology, engineering in medicine, public health, veterinary medicine, and environmental science.
The UMIID Director responsibilities include:
- Overseeing and leading UMIID’s research programs.
- Spearheading development efforts to grow resources and opportunities within UMIID.
- Working with the University Foundation to develop philanthropic support for UMIID.
- Developing and nurturing the identity of UMIID as a resource for faculty throughout the University of Minnesota.
- Recruiting faculty and collaborating with Medical School or other University of Minnesota academic departments to identify tenure homes.
- Mentoring junior and mid-career UMIID faculty.
- Administering the UMIID budget.
- Developing and maintaining UMIID’s international, national, and local identity as a frontrunner in infectious disease research.
- Fostering UMIID’s identity as a resource for infectious disease information, research collaboration, and education.
- Engaging with industry partners to create ongoing partnerships for scientific collaboration.
- Medical degree (MD) or PhD degree in a relevant discipline.
- Eligible for appointment at the rank of Professor.
- Outstanding scholarship in infectious disease field(s) in one of the UMIID priority areas.
- Demonstrated record in faculty, trainee, and student mentorship and teaching.
- Demonstrated record of leadership and achievement in academic medicine as evidenced by:
- Excellent track-record of NIH and federal funding.
- Experience in leading significant single or multi-site research programs.
- Success in recruiting exceptional clinical and/or bench scientists.
Ideal Candidate Attributes and Experience
- Strong visionary, inspirational leader who can develop and communicate a long-term vision for the advancement of UMIID and is equally skilled at developing and operating a detailed plan to achieve that vision.
- Highly approachable and compassionate; a record of promoting a culture of innovation, collaboration, teamwork, and respect; professional and personal demeanor characterized by integrity, graciousness, sincerity, and a passion for the organization’s mission and objectives.
- Exceptionally team-oriented; skilled at working well and partnering with faculty and other leaders across a large, complex organization and community.
- Highly adept and at ease managing the day-to-day operational details with the ability to be decisive, to conceptualize and analyze complex business opportunities, and oversee multiple projects.
- Demonstrated experience in recruiting, retaining, and mentoring a diverse and highly skilled cadre of faculty.
- Demonstrated track record of growing research platforms and contributing towards high-impact publications, grant awards, and meaningful science.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion.
- Experience working with external leaders and philanthropic partners.
- Comfortable working with state and federal legislators to advance the goals of UMIID.
- The ability to effectively represent the UMIID, Medical School, and University of Minnesota in regional, national and international communities.