To strengthen our management level at BAM, we are looking for the Department ‘Chemical Safety Engineering’ in Berlin-Steglitz for a
Head of department "Chemical Safety Engineering" (m/f/d)
Salary group 3 BBesO/non-tariff remuneration
Official/permanent employment relationship
Full-time / suitable as part-time employment
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
The Chemical Safety Engineering Department deals with explosive, flammable or reactive substances, substance systems and devices. Special attention is currently being paid to important energy carriers, e. g. hydrogen, and the change in chemical process technology in the context of sustainability and the circular economy.
Your responsibilities include:
- Strategic development of concepts for research and development of the department in the process and plant safety, the safe and sustainable chemical process engineering and the digitalisation in process engineering
- Management and strategic development of the department with approx. 115 employees in six divisions (Explosion Protection Gases and Dusts, Reactive Substances and Systems, Classification of Dangerous Substances and Goods, Consequence analysis if Substances and Energy Releases, Conformity Assessment Explosives and Pyrotechnics and Testing and Evaluation of Explosives and Pyrotechnics)
- Development of concepts for research and development in the focus area "Infrastructure"
- Participation in the Board of Directors at BAM to ensure the future viability of BAM and the active shaping of change processes
- Management and motivation of a qualified team of employees
- Ensuring interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary cooperation within BAM as well as with universities and research institutions, industry and with the relevant ministries or administrative bodies with regard to statutory tasks
- Participation in national and international networks for positioning BAM as a departmental research institution
- Scientific university degree and PhD with an excellent result as well as habilitation or comparable scientific achievements arising from professional experience in a research field relevant to BAM in chemistry, chemical process engineering or related fields
- International experience and several years professional experience
- Experience in the strategic orientation and management of larger scientific areas as well as in the application and implementation of demanding research and development projects
- Excellent knowledge of science management
- Experience with communication at the interface of science, business, politics and administration as well as in committee work and regulation formation
- Fundamental knowledge and understanding of management interrelationships in larger groups of people (professional and disciplinary management)
- Team-oriented work ethic with good communication and information behaviour and empathy/sensitivity and integration behaviour and gender equality
- A high degree of initiative/commitment, willingness and ability to make decisions, goal-oriented and structured way of working, conceptual, strategic and innovative thinking skills and assertiveness/negotiating skills
- Fluent command of German and English, written and spoken
- An attractive management position at the interface between science, business and politics
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
Applicants who meet the requirements will generally receive a salary according to BesGr. B3 BBesO. In the case of applicants who do not meet the career requirements for federal officials at the time of recruitment, a corresponding non-tariff remuneration shall be agreed upon. The probation period in accordance with § 34 BLV and § 31 TVöD shall apply in this case.
We welcome applications via the online application form by 03.10.2022. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 210/22-P to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM)
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
The President of BAM, Prof. Ulrich Panne, will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have regarding this position by phone at +49 30 8104-1000 or by e-mail at Ulrich.Panne@bam.de.
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfillment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognized severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a low level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the "audit berufundfamilie" since 2015.