Requisition Id 8818
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is the largest US Department of Energy (DOE) science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security. Our diverse capabilities span a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines, enabling the Laboratory to explore fundamental science challenges and to carry out the research needed to accelerate the delivery of solutions to the marketplace.
The Office of Research Excellence (ORE) seeks to hire a Professional Recognition and Awards Lead to expand and strengthen professional recognition programs at ORNL. We are looking for a driven individual who is passionate about seeing others rewarded for their impact and furthering their reputation and that of the institution. In this position, you will report to the ORE Director and collaborate with S&T division directors, managers, and staff.
- Identify opportunities for growth of S&T staff with respect to their professional recognition
- Design, implement and manage a system to identify staff for the most prestigious external technical awards
- Develop and implement metrics and methodologies for tracking and reporting in support of the growth of honors and awards for S&T staff across the laboratory
- Develop guidance to S&T staff for successfully achieving peer recognition
- Design and promote opportunities for staff to develop themselves through memberships, participation and service in professional organizations and societies
- Mentor early career staff by offering guidance on pathways in support of their professional recognition
- Lead ORNL’s responses for:
- nomination requests from DOE (e.g., Distinguished Scientist Fellow, E. O. Lawrence Award)
- nomination packages for prestigious awards and professional society fellowships such as IEEE, AAAS, AAA&S, and NAE/NAS R&D100 award
- Lead and facilitate seminars covering topics ranging from creation of impactful nomination packages; pathways to recognition; guidance on professional society memberships and S&T service
- Manage UT-Battelle Awards Night
- Maintain professional recognition web site and online resources
- Provide professional recognition and awards information, data, and analysis for ORNL reports and presentations
- Demonstrate commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- A Master’s degree in science or engineering related field and 10 or more years of experience in a DOE laboratory, other academic, and/or science and technology organization. Excellent facilitation and presentation skills and expertise Microsoft products. Ability to manage and to adapt to rapidly changing priorities in a professional manner and willing and able to take initiative to address and to complete tasks or projects with limited or vague details. Excellent human relations, critical thinking, written and oral communication skills as well as the ability to develop and manage professional relationships with team members. Ability to interact with diverse personalities and backgrounds in a multi-level, scientific environment.
Candidate must demonstrate efforts that:
- Have strengthened, expanded, enhanced, improved, or extended external awards and honors program, such as by broadening applications of and opportunities for professional recognition; influenced staff to pursue honors and awards; identifying needs of the organization and providing services to meet these needs; and enlarging the potential candidates for the awards in professional societies
- Have included substantive work improving professional recognitions and demonstrated diligence, skill, and effectiveness in applying principles and concepts to achieve professional goals. These efforts may include the following:
- Establishment of selection committees to promote professional recognition
- Development of methods, techniques, materials, and/or models to impact honors and awards culture at their institution
- Exceptional efforts to obtain support for professional recognition programs
- Sustained efforts in professional recognition education, through providing training, workshops, providing supervision to or advising stakeholder in training
- Efforts to create and improve opportunities for individuals to realize their full potential, as evidenced by work performed in professional organizations, work that has affected their success in honors and awards, or other activities that demonstrate commitment to promoting science culture in general of development, and relate to improving the promotion of staff within their professional societies and organizations.
Candidate must demonstrate experience:
- Mentoring professionals at various stages in their careers
- Creating staff award nominations for recognition by professional organizations such as IEEE and AAAS
- Conceiving, planning, and delivering projects
- Independently working with all levels of management, researchers, and staff – in a team environment, and have strong skills in solving problems and implementing solutions with scientific and research CVs and organizations, scientific professional societies and organizations, etc.
- PhD in science or engineering field.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.