To strengthen our team in the division “Material Informatics” in Berlin-Adlershof, starting as soon as possible, we are looking for a
Research Associate (m/f/d) in the field of physics, chemistry, materials science or engineering
Salary group 13 TVöD
Full-time / suitable as part-time employment
The Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung (BAM) is a materials research organization in Germany. Our mission is to ensure safety in technology and chemistry. We perform research and testing in materials science, materials engineering and chemistry to improve the safety of products and processes. At BAM we do research that matters. Our work covers a broad array of topics in the focus areas of energy, infrastructure, environment, materials, and analytical sciences.
We are looking for talented people to join us.
Your responsibilities include:
Based on ab initio methods and machine learning, innovative concepts for the simulation of compositionally complex materials are to be developed in order to exploit their chemical diversity for an improved performance, sustainability and safety of these materials when used for key technologies, e.g., in the energy sector. Specific tasks include:
- Initiation and implementation of research and development in the field of compositionally complex materials
- Development of ab initio based multiscale simulations for thermo-chemo-mechanical coupling effects on planar defects in these materials
- Advancing simulation environments for data-driven material design
- Conception of topics for young scientists and their support within the framework of their research activities
- Impulse-giving support and own acquisition of third-party funded research projects
- Creative participation in national and international joint projects as well as digitalization initiatives such as NFDI-MatWerk
- Successful scientific universitiy degree specialising in the field of physics, chemistry, materials science or engineering and a very good PhD
- Strong experience in the area of ab initio or atomistic simulations on materials engineering or materials science
- Experience with the simulation of complex materials under real conditions (e.g., finite temperatures, mechanical stress, corrosive environments)
- Proven competence in scientific work at the interface between experiment and theory on the above-mentioned areas in high-impact journals
- Very good knowledge of a programming language (e.g. Python, C++)
- Experience in (research) data management and machine learning
- Experience in acquisition and management of F&E-projects
- Several years of experience in supervision of young scientists
- Confirmed practice in publication and presentation of scientific results
- Very good command of German and English
- Good communication and information behaviour, initiative/willingness and ability to work, initiative/commitment and ability to make decisions, ability to work in a team and willingness to cooperate and flexibility
- Interdisciplinary research at the interface of politics, economics and society
- Work in national and international networks with universities, research institutes and industrial companies
- Outstanding facilities and infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and mobile working
We welcome applications via the online application form by 18.09.2022. Alternatively, you can also send your application by post, quoting the reference number 227/22-6.4 to:
Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und ‑prüfung (BAM)
Referat Z.3 – Personal
Unter den Eichen 87
Dr. Hickel will be glad to answer any specific questions you may have. Please get in touch via the telephone number +49 30 8104-1640 and/or by email to Tilmann.Hickel@bam.de.
BAM pursues the goal of professional equality between women and men. We therefore particularly welcome applications from women. In addition, BAM supports the integration of severely disabled persons and therefore especially welcomes their applications. With regard to the fulfilment of the job advertisement requirements, the application documents are examined individually. Recognised severely disabled persons will be given preferential consideration if they are equally suitable.
The advertised position requires a low level of physical aptitude.
BAM actively supports the compatibility of work and family and has been certified as a family- and life-phase-conscious employer by the "audit berufundfamilie" since 2015.