The Environmental and Sustainability Lead will be responsible for developing, implementing and updating Spark’s Environmental and Sustainability programs, policies, permits, and any required training and reporting programs as required per regulations or company policies. S/he will be responsible for monitoring site activities and ensuring programs are in place to adhere to federal, state and local regulatory requirements at all Spark sites and locations (current and future sites) as well as potential Roche Environmental and Sustainability Directives
This individual will ensure Environmental compliance and Sustainable operations across multiple functions and operations, and will work closely with Manufacturing, R&D, Quality Assurance, Project Management, Facilities, Technical Operation and Finance/Procurement, to identify regulated activities and build out programs.
Job Function and Description
Education and Experience Requirements
- Ensure Environmental Compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Oversee Spark’s EHS License to Operate Aspects
- Oversee and manage Environmental operating licenses and permits (Air, waste, water, others as applicable), including submitting permit applications, periodic renewals and associated reporting.
- Develop and submit regulatory reporting including but not limited to hazardous and non-hazardous waste reports (annual and biennial) and EPCRA Tier II submittals
- Develop Spark Sustainability strategy and program, including capital project standards and project criteria
- Development and implement systems based approach for tracking and trending utility, natural resource usage, and waste generation, as well as progress and payback on sustainability related projects with the intent to drive continuous improvement in environmental performace
- Support Environmental aspects of capital projects, from due diligence, concept design through efficient operation
- Evaluate and implement Corporate directives and site level procedures
- Oversee and manage all aspects of regulated waste program, including contracted waste vendors and support staff
- Drive Sustainability initiatives and integrate Sustainability via collaboration with Spark Corporate Facilities and other support functions, at all levels within the organization
- Develop and implement training to ensure compliance with Regulations, Permits and Licenses
- Experienced EHS Professional with a minimum of 6-8 years’ experience.
- BS degree required
- Experience in Pharmaceutical, Biologics manufacturing and research and development preferred
- CHMM, CSP, REM preferred
40-hour Hazardous Waste Training (HazWOPER) desired
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Extensive experience with PA DEP, EPA regulatory agencies; knowledgeable of additional regulations, as applicable
- Proficiency at project management and internal customer management
- Must be independent and self-driven with the ability to also work in a cross-functional setting.
- Ability to read and understand written procedures and instructions
- Able to successfully build effective working relationships with department managers such as Engineering, Manufacturing and Research and Development.
- Strong people management and leadership skills. Proficient at building high functioning teams
- Excellent personal, verbal and written communication skills.
Complexity and Problem Solving
- Must be physically able to stand for periods of time. Must be able to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and perform other physical duties as required.
- Must occasionally lift or move up to 25 pounds.
- Must have visual acuity.
- Continuous Improvement mindset/skills
- Strong problem solver/root cause identification
Internal and External Contacts
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of various factors. Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results. Ensures budgets, schedules, and performance requirements are met.
- Builds productive relationships internally and externally.
- Frequent contacts with peers and vendors concerning projects, operational decisions, scheduling requirements, or contractual clarifications. Conducts briefings, trainings and technical meetings for internal and external representatives, as needed.
- Develops work instructions, policies and procedures for staff use.
Other Job Requirements
- Frequent internal and external contacts.
- EHS Regulatory Agencies.
- Local Building and Fire Officials.
- Spark/ Roche business partners and contractors.
- Minimal travel requirements (
- Hybrid work Model
- Requirement to work some weekends and off hours, depending on project schedules
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.Learn more about Spark Therapeutics and view other openings.