JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIESEssential Job Functions:
- Assists principal investigator with scientific research projects.
- Functions in a separate and independent manner in the design and initiation of research experiments.
- Determines specific goals or objectives to be obtained, evaluates research data and develops and revises techniques or approaches to work problems. Compiles, writes and submits project results to mentor.
- Attend laboratory meeting and present data.
- Plans training and research work activity for assigned laboratory and research personnel.
- Supervises the use of laboratory equipment and implements safety procedures.
- Handling, registering, processing and monitoring clinical patient samples.
- Must be willing and able to learn and conduct additional methods and techniques when necessary. If necessary, be able to keep flexible working hours and to learn proper procedures to operate various types of equipment associated with experiments. Required to record and maintain a central repository of all reagents and biospecimens. Accurately label all samples and keep ample stock of supplies on hand.
- Requires handling experimental mice, maintain mouse colonies including breeding and genotyping.
- Maintain xenograft animal models. Lead in vivo experiments through planning and performing the tumor cells injection to mice, giving appropriate treatments, health monitoring, measure tumor growth, data collection and organization. Harvest tumors, organs, and process according to research need.
- Isolate DNA and RNA from tumor and carry out immunohistochemistry using paraffin / fresh frozen tissue sections.
- Requires basic knowledge and techniques to conduct various experiments in molecular and cellular biology including but not limited to genomic DNA preparation, genotyping, RNA extraction, PCR, biospecimen and mouse tissue collection, preservation and documentation.
- Tissue dissociation, single cell preparation and staining for CyToF, flow cytometry, tissue section staining with H&E and antibodies.
- Tissue/cell culture, mycoplasma test, generate cell lines from human and mouse tissues etc
Other duties as assigned.Required Education:
Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences. Required Experience:
One year experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree. Preferred Experience:
Background in biological science with a strong approach for data analysis. Lab work and manuscript writing experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html