Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Pfizer Vaccines Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into vaccines and antiviral drugs that matter most. You will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best-in-class vaccines and antiviral drugs to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
We are seeking an experienced lab-based research scientist with knowledge of molecular biology, mammalian cell culture and virology. The incumbent will conduct various antiviral assays and cytotoxicity assays in BSL2 and BSL3 labs. In addition to high technical competence, the incumbent should understand and articulate program objectives, experimental results to address a problem or evaluate a process/procedure. An ability to collaborate within department and across multidisciplinary teams is essential. The candidate will be expected to share and present research results in program meetings and contribute to the appropriate documents (reports, standard operation procedures, and publications for peer review). Excellent communication skills and the ability to work a multifunctional matrix environment are essential for the success of this candidate. The candidate will be expected to conduct experiments in the lab, manage laboratory and data analysis responsibilities to achieve team goals.How You Will Achieve It
Work independently in a team to plan, execute, analyze results, trouble-shoot, document, summarize experiments, and ensure high data quality.
- Conduct virus infection studies and culturing of cell lines.
- Work in BSL2 and BSL3 labs on antiviral assays required.
- Design and carry out assays to test antiviral activity, cytotoxicity, mechanism of action.
- Determine susceptibility of viruses to lead compounds.
- The candidate will be expected to generate and deliver robust data packages under tight timelines.
- Work as a team member in developing working hypothesis, develop and validate assays, and actively involved in data interpretation.
- Present results in internal meetings, scientific conferences, and author study reports and publications.
- Contribute original ideas and participate in project planning for individual and team goals.
- Interpret and summarize experimental data. Research and design experiments to resolve technical problems. Present original data at internal and external scientific meetings.
- Maintain laboratory notebook in a detailed and descriptive manner.
- Satisfactorily completes all cGMP/GLP and safety training in conformance with departmental requirements.
- Other job duties as assigned.
- Electronic documentation of lab work in a detailed fashion, summarizing and reporting data in an organized fashion.
- Prepare results for presentation, inclusion in technical reports, and for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- The incumbent has training on required Policies, Practices, and Procedures needed to support their work. Other technical training on job-specific tasks may be required.
Nice to have
- B.S./M.S. degree in Molecular Biology, Virology, or a related discipline
- 3+ years of relevant post-graduate experience, preferably in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology environment, or relevant academic experiences in virology or small molecule drug discovery and R&D using state-of-the art technologies.
- Hands on experience in mammalian cell and virus culture.
- Hands on working experience in a BSL2 environment is essential; willingness to work in a BSL3 environment.
- Proven expertise in recombinant molecular biology technology.
- Skills in nucleic acid isolation
- Hands on experience with qPCR assay development and execution.
- Ability to perform and deliver high quality data under tight timelines.
- Self-motivation and ability to work effectively as part of a cross-functional team.
- Proven delivery of objectives in a complex matrix environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Ability to write protocols and reports are required.
- Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and statistical software including GraphPad Prism is essential.
- Ability to effectively manage, organize and prioritize multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent critical thinking, communication and organizational skills.
- Prior experience in a BSL3 environment is preferred.
- Experience with lab automation
- Working knowledge of molecular biology design / analysis software
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to perform large number of assays in 96- and 384-well plates and compile the data appropriately.
- Ability to search and interpret the scientific literature and translate it to experiments
- Ability to sit for a longer time at a Biosafety cabinet.
Other Job Details:
- The current location for the candidate will be in Pearl River NY.
- Dependent on milestones, experiments, availability of equipment, such as robots, work on bank holidays and weekends might be necessary on occasion.
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
#LI-PFEPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development