The Center for Comparative Medicine provides for the care, health and well-being of all research animals used in the pursuit of scientific achievement and excellence at Baylor College of Medicine. CCM provides the highest quality veterinary and animal care and acts as a resource for the faculty on veterinary and scientific issues relating to the use of laboratory animals. The Veterinary Technician II position, participates in all aspects of the health and welfare of laboratory animals, including daily monitoring and treatment, maintaining accurate health records, and providing requested technical services which includes inducing and monitoring anesthesia for multiple species. Weekend, holiday, and after hours on call work is required on a rotational basis with other veterinary technicians. Job Duties
- Provides veterinary care to all animals at BCM.
- Performs daily observational rounds, health checks, and treatments on animal patients, under the guidance of veterinarians.
- Maintains observations in both written and electronic animal records.
- Maintains daily treatment records as well as: anesthetic records, post-operative records, drug logs, and inventory records.
- Performs independent routine surgical procedures in rodents, with oversight from a veterinarian.
- Provides research support to investigators, which can include injections, blood collections, anesthesia support, post-operative care, and treatment as directed by veterinarian.
- Provides training and mentorship to entry level veterinary technicians.
- Participates in the management and maintenance of CCM veterinary drugs and supplies.
- Associate's degree in a related field. Two years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Certified Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS). Certification must be obtained within six months of hire or promotion.
- Certification/Licenses/Registration Preferred: Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT).
- 2+ years of laboratory animal experience.
- 2+ years of veterinary technician experience.
- Knowledge and technical ability in veterinary medical procedures
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.