Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
We are seeking a computational scientist to join Chemical Research and Development (CRD) Computational Process Design and Optimization group in Groton CT . The successful candidate will play a leading role in the application of CRD digital design strategy toward material properties and reaction modeling to enable the efficient process development of active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) candidates in our portfolio.
CRD, as part of Worldwide R&D in Pharmaceutical Sciences, is responsible for the development of process technology for the production of API. CRD scientists engage in all facets of development from small scale synthesis in support of medicinal chemistry programs, to the development of the commercial synthetic route. CRD scientists partner with manufacturing specialists for API synthesis in kilo-lab and pilot plant facilities, as well as provide support for technology transfer to Pfizer manufacturing sites and third party facilities.
The successful candidate will develop first principle and data driven methodologies supporting development of API, workflows and processes. They will partner with a growing ecosystem of computational experts and utilize Pfizer's expanding computational resources to develop and evaluate methodologies that will enable the efficient digital exploration of the chemical and properties space found on small molecule drug development. They will support the development workflows and methodologies for the efficient application and integration of process systems techniques. The ability to work on multi-disciplinary teams involving chemists, analysts, engineers, and technologists and to represent CRD on cross-functional teams is essential. How You Will Achieve It
- Develop new tools and utilize computational methods for CRDs needs and work flows, identify gaps.
- Develop methods that will allow in-silico property and reaction prediction and optimization
- Develop data driven models and methodologies.
- Design model based experimental strategies
- Combine fundamental and data driven modeling techniques
- Partner with chemists, analyst chemical engineers from across PharmSci Small Molecule and to identify opportunities for application of computational methods to quantify risk and guide decisions for the development of API manufacturing processes
- Work with external partners to develop and evaluate next generation computational techniques for across pharmaceutical sciences
- Learn and develop modern computational methodologies and techniques.
- Act as a node for the generation of pre-competitive knowledge gathering with industry peers to learn from one another and drive effective collaboration to accelerate our knowledge, understanding and capability.
- Collaborate with others to prepare internal research reports, technical presentations, external
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or Computational / Physical Chemistry or similar computation field with 0-4 years of relevant experience with emphasis in computational methodologies
- Excellent knowledge of first principle and data driven methodologies for molecular properties and reaction design.
- Strong understanding of thermodynamics and reaction mechanism
- Experience in advanced mathematical modeling, such as creation of custom models relevant to chemical processes, defining mathematical frameworks and validation of process models
- Experience on Parameter estimation / Model development
- Experience in MD, MM, DFT and other relevant techniques
- Experience in modern Machine Learning including Gaussian Processes
- Working knowledge of Python, C++ or other program languages
- Modeling complex systems
Other Job Details:
- Experience in thermochemistry, solubility and solid state modeling is desired
#LI-PFEPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Last Date to Apply for Job: May 20, 2022
- Eligible for Employee Referral
- Eligible for Relocation Package
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development