The incumbent will be a research scientist with expertise in manipulation and use of laboratory animals for the study of human immune response and infectious disease, BSL2 experience preferred. This individual will support and assist colleagues through completion of animal studies for evaluation of the safety and preclinical efficacy of key vaccine candidates, requiring the use of an array of laboratory animals. The incumbent also will assist in design and conduct experiments to quantify humoral and cellular immune responses to candidate vaccines, as required. In addition to high technical competence, the individual in this position understands and can articulate the principles that underlie technology and can provide technical guidance for future assignments. The incumbent will be required to support team members to drive the design and logistics for in vivo and in vitro studies, as well as take a hands-on role to support laboratory activities.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Animal Study Coordination: Organizing / coordinating with comparative medicine staff.
- Carry out animal procedures required to evaluate the immunogenicity and efficacy of vaccine and study of human pathogen infection and disease Including tissue harvesting.
- Assist in the development of assays or animal models required to support various vaccine projects.
- In addition to high technical competence, the individual in this position understands and can articulate the scientific principles that underlie technology and can provide technical guidance for future assignments.
- Write documentation of all work in electronic notebook as required.
- Support colleagues in the laboratory by performing routine laboratory duties that can include preparation of media, stocking of reagents, ordering supplies, processing samples. Work efficiently as part of a team in a matrixed environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in proper handling of bacterial isolates and clinical samples; mastery of aseptic technique and familiarity with BSL2 and ABSL2 safety practices for working in the laboratory.
- Where applicable, perform job responsibilities in compliance with cGMP/GLP and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology or Animal Science and an additional 2-3 years relevant laboratory and/or vivarium experience required. Technical experience in developing and executing animal models of infectious disease and immunological assays required. Ability to work semi-independently, adept at using personal computers - including word processing, spreadsheets, PRISM, PowerPoint and other relevant scientific software, motivated, flexible and willing to learn new skill sets.
Sitting, standing, walking, and repetitive procedures, light lifting; ability to analyze data and design experiments and present scientific concepts to colleagues.NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Local travel, adherence to all safe work practices and working within defined biosafety requirements.
Flexibility to work late hours/weekends if needed.OTHER INFORMATION
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Lab based role, no remote available. Flexibility to work late hours/weekends if needed.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development