As Associate Scientist within the Molecular Analytics platform, you will be in charge of implementing, designing and developing methods for the detection and quantification of nucleic acids based on up-to-date nucleic acid technologies (NAT) and, in particular, methods aiming at characterizing plasmids (topology, conformation, sequence, quantity, etc.), mRNA Drug Substances (content, integrity, identity) and mRNA-LNP Drug products (monovalent and multivalent), used for production of mRNA vaccines. The use of direct nucleic acid quantification methods (e.g. CRISPR-based assays, digital counting through optical barcodes, branched DNA assays, etc.) will part of the activities of the hired Scientist.
You will join the Analytical Development Department, where the Molecular Analytics Platform is in charge of developing modern, state-of-the-art molecular methods to analyze (i.e. detect, identify, quantify and characterize) nucleic acids at all stages of vaccines development.
You will be in charge of the design and development of NAT-based analytical methods to support product and process development, to develop and transfer release methods for GMP testing for Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3, according to Quality by Design principles and in partnership with Technical Research and Development functions, Quality and Regulatory.
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Work on the bench in the labs (> 70%)
- Interact with Belgium- and US-based team members
- Contribute to the development, qualification, validation and transfer of innovative genetic characterization assays/technologies based on state-of-the-art NAT
- Ensure the development of analytical methods for purity, identity and sterility
- Execute analytical methods for the genetic characterization of genetically engineered microorganisms, including recombinant plasmids
- Interact and act in a complex matrix with several stakeholders from different departments (Research, Development, QC, RA, QA)
- Interact with other GSK Vaccines R&D Centers (in US and IT) and external CMOs
- Ensure implementation of QbD (Quality by design) in the development of assays
- Agile principles driven
- Develop detailed experimentation protocols and executes the planning/organization of the experiments in his/her scope of activities
- Analysis and interpretation of the data, including reporting and presentation
- Contribute to the various activities of the group
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor/Master degree (biotechnology, molecular biology, biochemistry, (molecular) bacteriology, (molecular) microbiology ) with 3 to 5 years of experience in the industry (in biologics / biopharmaceuticals / pharmaceutics) or equivalent by experience
- Experience in a lab environment focusing on analytics of biomolecules
- Diversified expertise in molecular biology (diversity of techniques and technologies as well as diversity of subjects)
- Team work
- Nucleic acid extraction
- PCR, QPCR and ddPCR
- Direct nucleic acid quantification methods (e.g. CRISPR-based assays, digital counting through optical barcodes, branched DNA assays, etc.)
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Bacteriology, microbiology techniques, including plasmid biology
- Sanger and high throughput sequencing technologies
- Design of primers and probes using recognized software's, design of LNA-containing primers and probes, design probes for multiplex assays, design of taqman probes, …
- Molecular Biology techniques (including Southern blot, restrictions, reverse transcription, in vitro transcription, electrophoresis, etc.)
- Ability to conduct literature and online research, continuous search of new methods
- Identification of critical method parameters and plan to evaluate them
- Good writing skills
- Good Communicator
- Attention for details, eager to learn and driven by curiosity
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record