The Department of Pathology & Immunology and its research mission at Texas Children's Hospital (TCH) are seeking an experienced Senior Research Assistant for our expanding pediatric cancer genomics program. The ideal candidate would be well versed in next-generation sequencing (NGS) laboratory protocols, instrumentation and be familiar with basic NGS data quality evaluation. This individual will be expected to independently plan, design and conduct experiments and optimize new techniques for the laboratory, analyze data, and report results to faculty members, aid in preparation of manuscripts and proposals, help train less-experienced members in the laboratory.Job Duties
- Performs DNA and RNA extraction using automated platforms from tumor tissue.
- Performs NGS-based research genomics projects on pediatric cancer including library preparation and sequencing.
- Assists with evaluation of novel NGS protocols for long-read nanopore NGS.
- Develops effective methods of QC tracking of genomic projects.
- Coordinates projects with research coordinators ensuring adherence to protocols and confidentiality.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or related field.
- Four years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in a related field.
- Experience in clinical laboratory test development, validation and documentation of operating protocols.
- Experience with laboratory automation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- MSc and/or BSc with minimum 4 years experience.
- Strong background in human genetics and genomics, molecular biology.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.
CA; CH; PD; SN