Associate Editor, Materials Research & Applied Science
The Physical Review journals seek a talented and ambitious Associate Editor with expertise and experience working in a research field within the broad areas of materials science and engineering, physics, or chemistry. Particular areas of interest include, but are not limited to, materials for energy applications, quantum information science, and soft matter. The Associate Editor will work with a team of editors across several journals, managing the review process and making editorial decisions as necessary. The Associate Editor will also be responsible for building connections with researchers and developing content from a wide range of topics. For this exciting role, we seek an Associate Editor who has the breadth, skills, and drive to support journals that meet the needs of a highly multidisciplinary research community.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access within the United States, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
- Evaluate the scientific content of manuscripts in a critical and independent manner and manage all aspects of peer review for a range of manuscripts in Physical Review Materials and other journals, as appropriate.
- Decide to editorially reject or proceed with peer review based on the level of scientific advance as well as the journal scope.
- Maintain high ethical standards and fairness at all editorial stages.
- Suggest top content for highlighting.
- Solicit high quality papers.
- Suggest candidates for Editorial Board positions.
- Participate in editorial and cross-departmental projects to meet and support the goals of APS publishing.
Develop and maintain strong ties with relevant research communities:
- Represent the journals and the APS as a whole at scientific conferences, give presentations, and organize conference sessions.
- Interact with key researchers and groups at pertinent laboratories and Institutions.
- Actively engage and develop strong relationships and trust with a broad network of researchers from academia and industry.
- Ensure that Physical Review standards for general style, guidelines, and technical issues are maintained, by communicating with authors, in-house journal support staff, and external vendors.
- Use tools to conduct, analyze, and enhance the peer review process.
Education: A PhD is required in Physics, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, or a related scientific field. Postdoctoral experience is strongly preferred.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ideally, a minimum of 1 year of postdoctoral experience
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific research literature and existing research groups in the area of coverage.
- A strong sense of integrity.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to make independent decisions and evaluations.
- The ability to establish knowledge of journal policies and practices, and the capacity to make sound editorial judgments.
- Knowledge of web-based manuscript handling and databases.
- A strong sense of responsibility and a proven commitment to the job.
Travel: The position requires some business travel to attend conferences and events, and to interact with researchers at research institutions and universities.
Our Editorial Offices are located on Long Island. We are operational in most US states. The Editorial Department allows flexible work hours; responsiveness is required, however, during the core 9 am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time workday. The successful candidate will join a collaborative international team of editors across the Physical Review journals.
This is Us:
Help us achieve our mission of advancing and diffusing the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community.
At APS, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Core values are essential to shaping the culture of an organization. They provide the structure and guidance for how we conduct ourselves in our day-to-day interactions. Every employee has a responsibility for upholding these values. The behaviors and actions associated with demonstrating competency in these Core Values are described in a separate document.
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Amazing 2022 Benefit Offerings:
Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
8% employer-paid retirement contribution
Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based on medical plan enrollment
Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer paid
Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100% employer paid
Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse & dependent child(ren) coverage
Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending accounts
Vacation: 15 days annually
Generous holiday leave: 14 paid days of significance; includes one week closure at the end of December
Personal leave: 4 days annually
Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
Sick leave: 10 days annually
10 weeks employer-paid family leave
College tuition reimbursement plan
Job related seminar & continuing education
Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn Learning on-demand courses
Employee Assistance Program
Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All APS Employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal Safeter upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or religious exemption. The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. We welcome you to apply today! The deadline for all applications is October, 30, 2022.