The laboratory of Will Hudson at Baylor College of Medicine (hudsonlaboratory.com) has a full-time position available for a Research Assistant. Baylor College of Medicine is a top-ranked medical school located in the Texas Medical Center, the largest biomedical complex in the world. The Hudson laboratory focuses on understanding the immune response to tumors and viruses, with the goal of creating better immunotherapies for cancer and infectious disease. Our research uses cutting-edge technologies and we are dedicated to mentoring the next generation of scientists.
The research assistant will perform research in the laboratory, planning, completing, and occasionally supervising research projects in the area of cancer immunology. He or she will also assist other members of the laboratory in conducting their research. Previous experience in an immunology laboratory is required, and strong preference will be given to candidates with experience in mouse models, mouse colony management, and flow cytometry.Job Duties
- Designs, conducts, evaluates, and troubleshoots experiments.
- Assists in animal experiments, including mouse handling, colony management, and genotyping with polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- Processes tissues and tumors to isolate immune cells for further study.
- Performs flow cytometry to study white blood cell populations.
- Isolates and purifies DNA and RNA.
- Collects, compiles, and analyzes data.
- Documents results of experiments.
- Orders laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Maintains inventory of laboratory reagents and supplies.
- Prepares stock solutions for laboratory use.
- Collaborates with other lab members and assists in performing experiments.
- Serves as biosafety officer for the laboratory.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Three years of relevant experience.
- Experience with mouse colony management highly preferred, including mouse genotyping, weaning, and breeding
- Use of immunological techniques including lymphocyte isolation and flow cytometry
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.