- Reporting to R&D site head, the Head of Protein Biochemistry will provide strong leadership of a multidisciplinary team of highly skilled scientists and technicians who are expert in disciplines that underpin modern vaccine development,
The function will work in a matrix environment to support the DPTs and VDTs to discover and develop a rich pipeline of new vaccine assets that meets important medical needs.
In his scope of work, he/she will be responsible for creating and maintaining a network of collaborations with world-class scientists who will bring cutting edge technology and ideas to bear on difficult vaccine development problems, thereby attracting external funding and accelerating the availability of important new vaccine solutions.
The job is highly complex due to the scientific contribution to a portfolio of diverse vaccine targets, in different scientific areas with different technical approaches, at different stages of development
Additionally, this individual will lead and engage in productive cross-functional relationships with various teams within the organization such as the corresponding teams in the other RD sites, TRD, the senior DPL, VDL, clinical sciences, Regulatory platforms, Business Development and Global Patents.
Why you?Basic Qualifications:
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership of the function, ensuring support to professional development and qualification of staff, while reinforcing wellbeing within the organization
- Manage, allocate and prioritize resources (people, equipment, budget) in support to DPTs, VDTs, according to research and development priorities
- Play a critical role in harmonization of best practices & alignment/partnership with equivalent functions at other RD sites
- Ensures the team is up to date and use cutting edge technologies and ideas to deliver best vaccine candidates according to project/R&D priorities
- Ensure timely delivery of high quality data for Regulatory files, Global patents, Governing bodies and peer reviewed scientific journals
- Strong scientific leadership to ensure interface with key scientific external stakeholders or interactions with external partner in the context of outsourcing of activities
- Foster identification and leveraging of external (funding or scientific) opportunities allowing to support and accelerate preclinical discovery and development of new vaccines
- Lead and engage in productive cross-functional relationships with various teams within the organization such as the TRD, Quality, External Research, DPL, VDL, Clinical Sciences, Regulatory platforms, Business Development and Global Patents
- Ensure Health, Safety and the Environment is an integral part of the operations and culture. Minimize the impacts to the community, resources utilized and the effect on the environment.
- Ph.D degree in life science
- Preferred area of specialization in Biochemistry, Chemistry and/or Structural Biology
- Previous experience as leader of PhD level scientists with strong scientific track record + 3-5 year experience in Vaccine industry
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record