As part of the new, ambitious, Data Science initiative at MDACC, we are establishing an innovative AI-augmented, Adaptive, Drug Discovery and Development computational Platform to accelerate the discovery and impact of novel therapies for cancer. The Platform will be intelligent and ever-learning. The Platform will enable novel opportunities for optimized therapies for patients with focus on rare and hard-to-treat cancers through development of novel machine learning and AI technologies. The Institute Research Scientist will propose, innovate and execute data science approaches including Machine and Deep Learning to uncover hidden therapeutic opportunities in integrated patient data; working closely with biologist, data scientists and clinicians; and will lead the day-to-day activities of the data science team of the Platform.
The ideal candidate will have computer science concepts and molecular / cancer biology. Programming languages (Python, R) scripting languages (bash), high performance computing, code version control and computational notebook.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
* Work closely with Director to establish a data integration, analysis and interpretation Platform for multi-scale, multi-modal clinical and preclinical data
* Design and build novel predictive algorithms to address key bottlenecks in therapeutic discovery and development including target and biomarker discovery, predicting actionable vulnerabilities and AI-informed drug discovery
* Assess data structure and content to identify best ML/DL strategies, develop validation protocols and refine methods as appropriate
* Establish federated learning protocols and apply to proof-of-concept data
* Oversee documents detailed design specifications (ETL, specs, Information models, etc.) using appropriate standardized documentation
* Machine Learning, Deep Learning and predictive technologies ideally applied to biomedical data
* Addressing challenges in ML/DL as well as mitigation strategies
* Large-scale, multidimensional multimodal data handling and analysis
* Machine-learning libraries and tools (e.g. Tensorflow or similar)
* Database query and structure including relational/graph databases
* Unix, Python or other scripting/programming languages
* Excellent working knowledge of statistical methods and tests
* Maintain knowledge of cutting-edge machine learning approaches and technologies and implement these where appropriate
* Be responsible for day-to-day management of data science research staff including data engineers and data scientists
* Produce output for scientific publications and co-author said publications
* Present results at multidisciplinary project meetings as well as external meetings.
* With Inclusion, you understand that your ideas and contributions are valued. You promote the same for others. You address your own biases while promoting diversity and equity. (Competencies: Cultural Humility, Cultural Awareness, Cultural Intelligence)
* With Drive, you see that you can serve as a leader whether you have a formal leadership role or not. You tackle problems, move past setbacks and hardships, and don't lose sight of your goals. (Competencies: Self-Confidence, Analytical Thinking, Innovative Thinking, Technical Expertise)
* You demonstrate Professionalism by setting the example for others and consistently modeling MD Anderson's values and service standards. You communicate effectively in a variety of ways. (Competencies: Inspire Trust, Oral Communication, Written Communication).
* Through Emotional Intelligence, you maintain awareness of your own emotions and the emotions of those around you. Use nonverbal cues and feelings to engage others in an inclusive and responsive way. (Competencies: Active Listening, Teaming, Self-Reflection)
* Having Coachability means you are engaged in relentless learning. You constantly ask questions and stay curious. You understand that the organization constantly evolves, and you should as well. (Competencies: Develop Oneself, Adaptability)
Required: Master's degree in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, enzymology, pharmacology, chemistry or related field.
Preferred: PhD in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, enzymology, pharmacology, chemistry or related field.
Required: Six years experience of relevant research experience in laboratory With a PhD in a natural science or Medical degree, two years of required experience.
Preferred: Strong foundation in both computer science concepts and molecular / cancer biology. Evidence of proficiency in programing languages (Python, R), scripting languages (bash), high-performance computing, code version control, and computational notebook tools.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html