GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
The Novel Human Genetics Research Unit (NHG RU) at GSK comprises a multidisciplinary biology team that utilizes deep scientific knowledge and technical capabilities to identify and validate novel therapeutic targets with human genetic association to diseases and undertake drug discovery efforts from early stage discovery through to phase 1 clinical trials. The NHG RU conducts drug discovery across a range of therapeutic areas including neuroscience, cardiovascular, renal, and metabolic diseases.
We are seeking to hire a highly motivated biologist to fill an Associate Director position in the Novel Human Genetics Research Unit in R&D. The successful candidate will be part of a multidisciplinary team to establish and characterize cellular models derived from induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), and to perform or manage CRO activities on genetic perturbations (KD, KO, KI, overexpression) in iPSCs or iPSC-derived cells for drug discovery applications. The scientist will have the opportunity to work on targets and pathways relevant to a variety of human diseases and therapeutic areas. Job functions:
1. Lead a team of scientists (i.e. 2-3 direct reports) with a focus on stem cells to achieve the following scientific objectives (#2-#5).Activities and responsibilities include:
a) Participate in NHG strategic planning and execution for establishing iPSC derived cellular models, coordinate and communicate with line and team leaders in the Research Unit to set priorities for the iPSC team
b) Perform lab work as neededand provide cross-training to others
c) Manage direct reports including lab activities and development
d) Ensure self and direct report's compliancewith GSK policies including safety, electronic laboratory notebooks, and data integrity
2) Establish and optimize iPSC differentiation processes for cell types relevant to NHG portfolio (i.e., hepatocytes, neurons, astrocytes,etc), along with QC assays for characterization of iPSC-derived cells.
3) Design and conduct experiments to achieve high efficiency genetic perturbations (KD, KO, KI, overexpression) in iPSCs or iPSC-derived cells.
4) Collaborate with internal units and strategic external partners (e.g., academics, CROs) to establish/transfer proceduresfor iPSC culturing, differentiation and characterization.
5) Conceive, design and conduct cellular experiments (including RT-qPCR, ELISA, high content imaging, etc) addressing specific biological questions, analyze and report experimental data using a variety of laboratory instruments and computer software.
6) Commit to continual improvement by reading and applying the latest scientific literature, methodologies and technologies
7) Model GSK's values of patient-focus, respect, transparency, and integrity
8) Communicate processes and study results with project teams and line leaders Why You? Basic qualifications:
Preferred qualifications (one or more of the following):
- PhD in biological sciences
- Three or more years of experience in iPSC culturing, differentiation, characterization, and applications
- At least 5 years of lab experience in molecular biology and/or cell biology, including the following areas:
- Genetic manipulation techniques including siRNA and gene overexpression
- Familiarity with computational biology skills and tools to execute functions such as design of genetic perturbation strategies and basic ‘omics-related analysis
- Cell-based assays and analysis (e.g. RT-qPCR, immune-sandwich, ELISA, reporter gene assay, flow cytometry, imaging (high content preferred.)
- Executing experiments independently and work collaboratively with colleagues and external partners
- Analyzing, summarizing, interpreting, presenting experimental data, and maintaining accurate/legible records.
- Five or more years experience in documentation, communication, and team-building skills.
- Two or more years of experience with supervising & developing direct reports
- PhD in biological sciences with at least 7 years of post-PhD experience in molecular biology and cell biology
- Experience using viral delivery vectors
- Experience with CRISPR genome editing technologies
- Experience with planning and executing experiments utilizing isogenic sets of cell lines and/or multiple donors
- Experience with iPSC differentiation into hepatocytes
- Experience with developing and characterizing multi-cellular models
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years. We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat is ambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record