The Software and Data Engineering team within the Data Science Group at Spark Therapeutics is seeking a senior data engineer for lab data integration and automation. This role serves as a key group member to support data management, solution architecture and cloud implementation needs of the Technical Development department, which is responsible for the development of clinical and commercial manufacturing process as well as implementation of high throughput platforms across research, process, and analytical development. Primary responsibilities of the Sr. Data Engineer include:
- Work closely with lab automation, process development, and analytical scientists to facilitate data acquisition, storage, and delivery.
- Own, prototype, and implement stakeholder solutions
- Research and prototype data acquisition strategy for scientific lab instrumentation
- Design and build data models
- Design and build Python data pipelines, unit tests, integration tests, and utility functions
- Research and prototype file parsers for instrument output files
- Work with the stakeholders to test and make sure the solution fulfills their requirements and solves their need
- Create data integration services to help automate data flow from different components such as ELN, lab equipment, data storage, and API endpoints.
- Provide solutions for data accessibility and transparency.
- Provide data management support for integrated systems such as robotic liquid handlers, bioreactors, purification systems, and analyzers.
- Consult on feasibility of data solutions with internal business and IT resources.
- Contribute to the documentation of data flow, business requirements, and data infrastructure.
- Develop data pipelines and integration solutions by contributing to the existing codebase.
- Collaborate with different stakeholders to gather requirements, provide insight, and make recommendations as the subject matter expert.
- Document and present planned projects and deliverables.
Education and Experience Requirements
- B.S in Chemistry, Biology, or Computer Science highly preferable
- 5+ years in Python development
- 2+ years of experience working in at least one of the following settings: lab automation, process development, or drug manufacturing
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Strong knowledge of Python
- Proven experience working on big data operations, developing structured/unstructured data pipelines, ETL/ELT solutions, and pipeline orchestration.
- Deep understanding of workflow management and data flow platforms such as Apache Airflow, AWS Glue and Lambda.
- Strong knowledge of data modeling (relational and non-relational) concepts and principles.
- Knowledge of Cloud infrastructure (e.g., AWS, Azure) to provide IaaS/IaC, including storage & networking (S3, EFS, Glacier, Storage Gateway, GCS)
- Knowledge of enterprise software patterns and conventions
- Strong comprehension of Agile/Scrum methodologies, Software Development Life Cycle, Source Control systems, Git conventions and CI/CD pipelines.
- Strong project, account management, and proactive problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of Linux/RHEL environments.
- Familiarity with Infrastructure-as-code (IaC) and deployment automation tools e.g., Terraform, Ansible.
- Basic understanding of bioprocess development workflows and familiarity with lab automation systems is preferred.
- Ability to work independently, self-motivated to learn and develop new methodologies, manage multiple projects simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies
- Ability to ramp up quickly and learn tools and technologies
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Ability to write clear documentation, present technical solutions/outlooks and simplify complex processes.
- Works with colleagues as a team player
Please be aware that Spark mandates COVID-19 vaccination of all employees regardless of work location. Accommodations may be made in accordance with applicable law.
Nearest Major Market:
Join the Spark Team
We were born of innovation, springing from the curiosity, imagination and dedication of remarkable scientists and healthcare visionaries. Our shared mission is to challenge the inevitability of genetic disease by discovering, developing, and delivering treatments in ways unimaginable - until now.
We don't follow footsteps. We create the path.Learn more about Spark Therapeutics and view other openings.