About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds, and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
Delivers independent direct medical management for a defined population in a defined service line, according to standardized procedures and in collaboration with a physician advisor. S/he will provide care within scope of license in collaboration with physician. Professional practice as a health team member is defined by departmental policies with institutional approval. Emphasis is placed on health promotion and patient education, combining the qualities of both nursing and medicine. Act as a patient advocate in all ethical and legal aspects.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience, and skills required for consideration:
- Utilizes the City of Hope nursing process in clinical practice.
- Assumes responsibility for independent, direct medical management of a defined patient population, according to standardized procedures and in collaboration with a physician advisor or supervising physician.
- Performs physical examinations applying the medical model and nursing process to patient care problems that require medical intervention and skill. Strives to maintain consistency of quality patient care.
- Develops and follows protocols/standardized procedures for practice for Nurse Practitioners in the department.
- Assists in developing methods and systems for provision of medical care and overall department operations.
- Maintains open lines of communication with the physician and multidisciplinary health team regarding patient information.
- Under supervision of a physician advisor, performs initial and interval physical assessment for evaluation of patient progress, applying techniques of observation, inspection, auscultation, palpation and percussion to determine plan of care.
- Discriminates between normal and abnormal findings, consulting with physician advisor/supervising physician when indicated, evaluates, diagnoses and manages certain illnesses and conditions, orders appropriate laboratory studies, identifies appropriate pharmacologic agents and non-pharmacologic interventions, refers or consults with other physicians within City of Hope Medical Center.
- Develops and implements patient education activities; provides education and counseling to patients.
- Develops and participates in performance improvement activities to evaluate the program's effectiveness in meeting patient care and departmental needs. Understands and supports the milieu of patient care in these areas to foster a supportive care environment
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, reviewing current literature, attending in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Attends and participates in meetings and/or committee as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Master's Degree, or Doctorate Degree as Nurse Practitioner
- Three years clinical experience
Preferred education, experience, and skills:
- Current California RN license
- California NP License
- California NP Furnishing License within 6 months of hire
- DEA within 6 months of hire
- National NP Board Certification through accrediting body
- Specialty Certification as defined/required for role
- Basic Life Support, CPR card through American Heart Association
- Please see grid for ACLS and PALS requirement, last page.
- EPIC experience preferred but not required
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
- Shift: Day 10 hours
- Job Status: Per Diem
- This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.