About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
This individual will bring theoretical and practical expertise to support the operations of a busy histology laboratory. The incumbent maybe asked to assist with short-term and long-term strategic operational decisions and planning of a high complexity histology laboratory. They must demonstrate behavioral skills that contribute to a productive work environment and provide excellent customer service to the faculty and staff of City of Hope Orange County to improve patient outcomes.
Performs all duties of a lead histotechnologist in the anatomic pathology (AP) histology laboratory. Assumes responsibility and accountability for all workflow and processes to maintain high quality and productive laboratory, as delegated by the AP laboratory leadership laboratory.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Oversees and performs the preparation of tissues and stained slides of a high quality.
- Oversees and assumes responsibility for troubleshooting technical, processing, staining issues.
- Oversees the maintenance of the histology laboratory for State, CMS, FDA, and CAP inspections, to include the review and writing of standard operational procedures (SOP's) and participate in all laboratory inspections.
- Responsible for the development of new procedures, validation of instrumentation and procedures in accordance with good laboratory practices.
- Responsible for the maintenance of an adequate inventorysupplies for the day to day running of the laboratory based on LEANsix sigma, inventory management system of par levels.
- Oversees and possess the skill sets to work within an electronic LIS.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Uses comprehensive knowledge of scientific theory and departmental policies and procedures to function as a certified lead histotechnologist.
- Understand and comply with policies and procedures to perform the responsibilities to maintain a high performing laboratory.
- Facilitates the validation and verification of histological procedures performed and establish the test performance characteristics.
- Oversee and resolve technical problems encountered in the histology laboratory by applying problem solving and decision making skills to complex technical issues and evaluating outcomes.
- Responsible for the evaluation of new methods and instrumentation in conjunction with the Administrative Director of APCP laboratories.
- Provides the theoretical and practical knowledge to support the day-to-day operations and functions of the histology laboratory.
- Participates in activities within the histology laboratory to assist with short-term and long-term planning in collaboration with the AP Leadership.
- Responsible for the maintenance and improvements of the workflow and processes within the histology laboratory.
- Works with the director and leadership to resolve budgetary and/or laboratory operational issues. Recommends appropriate cost efficient instrumentation and test methodology based on assessment of pathologists use of test results.
- Oversees the maintenance and upkeep of the histology laboratory.
- Will assist with the planning of renovations, expansions and development of the laboratory.
- Oversees and promote the quality assurance activities to ensure the highest quality laboratory outcomes.
- Responsible for, performs and evaluates patient and quality control testing through visual and cognitive interpretation of outcomes.
- Oversees the proper operation of instrumentation and taking appropriate action on results to ensure accurate, appropriate and timely reporting of patient tissues specimens.
- Responsible for the training of staff to ensure compliance, ensure staff have the skills sets and tools to properly operate and maintain instruments and equipment.
- Document completion of quality control (QC)/quality assurance (QA) procedures as needed.
- Assists the Director in the preparation for and participate in internal audits, external inspections (CAP, CMS, CDPH, FDA etc.), proficiency testing surveys, and properly maintain records to fulfill the requirements of accrediting agencies.
- Maintain continued involvement in professional development through participation in educational opportunities to ensure continued adherence to standards and provision of quality laboratory care.
- Actively seek out relevant educational experiences to stay current with histology development of technologies and practices to maintain professional growth.
- Willingly accept assignment of new employees' andor students and strives to strengthen their understanding of theory and procedures.
- Demonstrate professional responsibility and accountability by completion of training and competencies within the established deadlines.
- Set annual work related goals with Director and demonstrate progression and/or achievement of goals.
- Comply and follow all departmental and organizational policies and procedures in addition to regulations according to the laboratory regulatory agencies, i.e. CAP, ASCP, CMS FDA and OSHA etc.) And participate in COH enterprisedepartmental safety and quality activities.
- Perform other duties assigned to maintainsustain and improve the quality of care and better patient outcomes.
- Participate in the maintenance and assistance of the disaster preparednessrecovery plan for the Division of Anatomic Pathology.
- Keep open communication lines to director to maintain operational efficiencies and affectability.
- Notifies director of any employee performance problems/issues as they occur
- Identifies critical issues to be communicated in complex situations and gives concise and precise instruction and information to direct reports for appropriate action.
- Provides constructive feedback to the director regarding employee performance for the performance appraisal process.
- Keeps director informed of the general morale of employees and communicates employee issues that may require management intervention.
- Brings to the director's attention issues that have not been resolved through normal channels and that may significantly affect service levels to clientspatients.
- Keep director apprised of progress on assigned projects.
- Lead and meet the daily workflow functions of a high workloadthroughput histology laboratory.
- Responsible for the schedule to maintain adequate technical coverage while maximizing efficient utilization.
- Manage time effectively for proper balance of responsibilities. Promote a team environment in which team members can work cooperatively towards objectives of the laboratory.
- Participate in the interview process of potential employees and make recommendations to the Director and interview panel.
- Maintain the upkeep of the histology laboratory. Maintenance of a robust inventory management process based on LEANSix Sigma, (e.g. Kanban) ensuring supplies of reagents and other material are at par levels.
- Responsible for the review and the writing of SOP's.
- Oversees and Performs data entry and analysis of diagnostic information not related to reporting patient diagnostic results.
- Responsible for the maintenance and the performance of equipment.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate QAQC records for all analysis according to SOP's and other regulatory agencies.
- Creates and maintains an environment of trust, team spirit, support, and open communication to effectively deal with issues related to change and transition as part of a highly motivated team.
- Any other duties required to sustain and maintain services of the highest quality to promote exceptional patient care and outcomes.
- Requires an understanding of the mission and goals of the City of Hope.
- Lives the organization's commitment to ‘Patient Experience".
- Always have a positive and compassionate attitude.
- Use courteous, clear and timely communications with customers.
- Anticipate the needs of others.
- Respect the customers time.
- Display professionalism through actions, work area appearance and personal appearance.
- Use teamwork throughout the organization.
- Listen, empathize and work diligently to find solution to sustain and maintain the ‘patient experience.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Required Certification/Licensure:Preferred education experience and skills:
- Minimum Education: Associates degree and completion of a certified clinical program in medical laboratory sciences in histopathology or equivalent educationyears of experience
- Minimum Experiences: 5 years of experience in a histology laboratory with a sound knowledge of best practices
- Associates Degree in medical laboratory Sciences or related subject.
- ASCP certified HTHTL
As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.