The Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences (IOC PAS) is an outstanding research unit conducting research at the highest level in the field of modern organic synthesis, catalysis and design of new materials. The research staff employed at the Institute consists of over 20 Research Groups led by internationally recognised researchers collaborating with world-leading centres. The research topics include among others: organic synthesis methodology; supramolecular chemistry; photoredox catalysis; C-H activation, synthesis and application of functional dyes; organocatalysis; the use of enzymes in organic synthesis; synthesis of natural and bioactive compounds; structure and spectroscopy of organic compounds, computer aided organic synthesis (CHEMATICA).
The Institute successfully applies for research grants, both domestic and foreign, and educates a new generation of scientists within the Warsaw-4-PhD Doctoral School. Currently we are offering several PhD positions in scientific projects on the most interesting topics of contemporary organic chemistry:
- Autonomous discovery, development and optimization of organocatalytic reactions through intelligent chemical robots
- Novel glycomimetics as DC-SIGN receptor ligands
- Novel hybrid glycomimetics as lectin ligands
- The amidyl radical initiated self- or directing group-aided remote C-H functionalization of bifunctional compounds
- The self- or directing group-aided remote C-H functionalization of bifunctional compounds initiated by alkoxy radical species
- Design of organic memristors
- Mechanochemical induction of self-assembly of anion-sealed molecular capsules
- Chemoenzymatic cascades of new Cu and Pd reactions of significant application potential
- Redox-neutral photocatalytic C-H carboxylation of hydrocarbons with CO2
Why is it worth doing a doctorate at the IOC PAS?
- You choose a research center with over fifty years of experience in educating young chemists
- You will meet outstanding scientists, winners of prestigious Polish and foreign awards, authors of books and scientific papers. We are collaborating with the best research centers around the world and give you the opportunity to participate in conferences and international exchanges, where you will meet people who share your passion
- You will take part in the implementation of ambitious, modern research projects in well-equipped laboratories
- We open up a wide range of possibilities for choosing the type of research you conduct. We focus on interdisciplinarity, innovation and cooperation with other centers.
- During your studies, we give you the opportunity to expand and consolidate the knowledge acquired at the earlier stages of education during a series of lectures organized at the Institute, conducted both by our academic staff and by guests from abroad.
- PhD students may stay in the doctoral hotel located on the premises of the Institute during their studies. The hotel has single rooms with bathroom and kitchenette.
- The Institute makes it easier for every graduate to find a place in a good research team, mainly in the USA, Japan and Western European countries, for a postdoctoral fellowship. At best, after returning from the internship, you can continue working at the IOC PAS. The Institute offers research internships and encourages the submission of independent research projects, creating the possibility of obtaining a habilitation within a few years.
We strongly encourage you to apply to the Warsaw-4-PhD Doctoral School and to the projects carried out by the Institute of Organic Chemistry PAS. All details can be found on our website: https://www.icho.edu.pl/en/ and website of the PhD School: https://warsaw4phd.eu/en/
Candidates could apply online to the Doctoral School for the academic year 2022-2023 by submitting their documents:
- from 27 July 2022 to 10 August 2022 – admission round