Managing Editor, Biological Physics
The Physical Review journals seek a Managing Editor with expertise in biological physics and the physics of life to lead, manage, and develop a new, selective journal that will serve researchers working at the interface of physics and biology. The new title will emphasize significant advances in understanding biological systems through the use of experimental, theoretical and computational tools primarily from physics, but also from chemistry, materials science, computer science, mathematics and engineering. The Managing Editor would be in charge of developing a strategy to attract original research, short Reviews, and Perspective pieces on a wide range of topics. Areas of interest include (but are not limited to) the application of quantitative tools to study cells and tissue, molecules and microorganisms, biological systems, evolution, disease spread and global health, and animal behavior. For this exciting role, we seek an editor who has the breadth, skills and drive to run a journal that meets the needs of a highly multidisciplinary research community.
The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access within the United States, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
Is This You:
- Design and execute a strategy to attract high-quality manuscript submissions from relevant research areas to the new journal
- Handle original manuscripts on areas related to biological physics, the physics of life, and, more generally, quantitative life science, overseeing all aspects of the peer review process in support of the new journal
- Contribute to plans to develop the Physical Review journals and services in line with the needs of researchers working at the interface of physics and biology
- Build connections with prominent research groups around the world through in-person or virtual conferences and lab visits
- Recruit and manage suitable Editorial Board members to engage the research community and drive editorial vision, objectives, and process
- Commission Review and Perspective pieces on active areas of research
- Promote journal content on the web and through social media
- Keep abreast of key developments in relevant research areas, including scientific discoveries, funding opportunities, and new research centers
- Collaborate with other Physical Review editors and APS staff to ensure consistent editorial standards and to advance the journals’ strategy and goals
- Report on progress to other editorial teams, departments, and APS management
- Supervise and/or oversee the duties of other editorial team members
- Foster a positive culture within the editorial team
Education: A PhD and postdoctoral experience in biological physics, physics, biology, chemistry, materials science, computer science, mathematics or engineering.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of five years of experience as an editor for a physical-science or life-science publication, preferably with a demonstrated ability to commission and attract content to a new journal.
- General knowledge of core concepts in biology and in relevant areas of physics
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and teams.
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific research literature and existing research groups in the areas of coverage.
- Impeccable writing and communication skills.
- A willingness to learn about new research areas and trends in scientific publishing.
- Strong sense of integrity and a commitment to a diverse and inclusive research community.
- Ability to make prompt independent evaluations and decisions.
- Facility in managing multiple priorities.
Travel: The position requires significant business travel within and outside the US, to attend conferences and events, and to interact with researchers at research institutions and universities.
Our Editorial Offices are located on Long Island. We are operational in most US states. The Editorial Department allows flexible work hours; responsiveness is required, however, during the core 9 am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time workday. The successful candidate will join a collaborative international team of editors across the Physical Review journals.
This is Us:
Help us achieve our mission of advancing and diffusing the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community.
At APS, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
Core values are essential to shaping the culture of an organization. They provide the structure and guidance for how we conduct ourselves in our day-to-day interactions. Every employee has a responsibility for upholding these values. The behaviors and actions associated with demonstrating competency in these Core Values are described in a separate document.
Our Core Values:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
Amazing 2022 Benefit Offerings:
Flexible schedules and ability to work remotely
8% employer-paid retirement contribution
Investment advisement services: 100% employer paid
Medical benefits: PPO or HDHP option
Employer contribution to FSA or HSA account, eligibility based on medical plan enrollment
Dental benefits: individual coverage 100% employer paid
Vision benefits: individual and dependent coverage 100% employer paid
Basic Life & Accident insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
Supplemental Life & Accident insurance, including spouse & dependent child(ren) coverage
Disability insurance: employee coverage 100% employer paid
Healthcare, Commuter & Dependent care flexible spending accounts
Vacation: 15 days annually
Generous holiday leave: 14 paid days of significance; includes one week closure at the end of December
Personal leave: 4 days annually
Volunteer leave: 1 day annually
Sick leave: 10 days annually
10 weeks employer-paid family leave
College tuition reimbursement plan
Job related seminar & continuing education
Training and professional development; access to LinkedIn Learning on-demand courses
Employee Assistance Program
Mindfulness Meditation: live and on-demand classes
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. All APS Employees must be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination via our secured vaccination portal Safeter upon hire, unless they have an HR approved medical or religious exemption. The APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. We welcome you to apply today! The deadline for all applications is September, 16, 2022.