Are you looking for a challenging opportunity that allows you to leverage your technical expertise to work with lab automation to support the development of pharmaceuticals? If so, this Senior Automation Scientist role in the Analytical Automation Team of Analytical Development (AD) will be an exciting opportunity for you to explore.
GSK is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. We want to attract, retain, and motivate the very best people to support our business now and in the future. To do this, we take our responsibility as a modern employer seriously and we want to make sure that everyone is empowered to be themselves, feel good, and keep growing at GSK.
As a Senior Automation Scientist in the Analytical Automation Team, you will be a member of a highly skilled team of scientists responsible for utilizing existing automation while exploring new and innovative automation technology solutions to increase efficiency and productivity of scientists in the labs. You will determine how to optimize and implement automated analytical workflows, using Hamilton liquid handling robots and other robotics platforms, to support pharmaceutical process development and manufacturing, with a focus of developing workflows that can accelerate the development of small molecule and biopharmaceutical projects.
In this dynamic role, you will collaborate with subject matter experts in AD to design and implement novel automation solutions that will be deployed to non-GMP and GMP labs in R&D and Global Supply Chain (GSC). Your primary focus will be in the laboratory developing, optimizing, and troubleshooting a wide variety of automated analytical methods covering disciplines such as immunoassays, cell-based bioassays, and separations methodologies and will facilitate the training and transfer of automated analytical methods to various labs within and outside of AD. The role also involves verbal and written communication and requires good organization as well as a broad application scientific knowledge. Both individual and team working are required and therefore the role will suit a scientist with good interpersonal skills, self-motivation, and an open mindset to learning new skills.
- Work closely with analytical scientists in non-GMP and GMP environments to develop and implement automated analytical methods using the Hamilton robotics platform.
- Provide rapid hands-on support, troubleshooting, and root cause analysis of automation errors to maximize uptime and minimize human effort required across the process development groups at Upper Merion (UM) and Upper Providence (UP) GSK facilities (Flexibility to travel between UM & UP will be required)
- Identify bottlenecks, and systematically evaluate and assess root causes of errors in the laboratory, discriminating between inefficiencies arising from human, software, hardware, firmware, and/or chemical sources.
- Be responsible for the technical support, transfer, implementation, and management of various automated analytical workflows.
- Develop a strong understanding of GSK business areas to identify opportunities to solve unmet needs
- To present and champion applications within a variety of settings to key stakeholders
- BS or MS degree in Analytical/Physical, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent with a minimum 2+ years' experience working in a pharmaceutical, biotech, or product development environment.
- Hands-on experience with automated methods and workflows using liquid handling automation equipment, such as Hamilton, Tecan, Unchained Labs/Freeslate, or similar robotics platforms
- Ability to travel between sites (Upper Merion and Upper Providence, ~15 miles one way)
- Experience in creating, optimizing, and troubleshooting automated methods using Hamilton STAR or Vantage robotics preferred
- Ability to configure automated solutions by integrating 3rd party instrumentation and electronic data systems (e.g. LIMS, Electronic Lab Notebook) with liquid handling robotics
- Experience in collating and analyzing data to interrogate and optimize automated methods
- Broad understanding of biopharma analytical methodologies is desirable
- Experience working with multidisciplinary teams in a matrix environment
- Self-motivated with excellent organizational skills and a pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Strong people and communication skills (both written and oral)
- Strong desire to learn and develop new skills
- Experience with the application of programming concepts used in laboratory automation
- Background working in a laboratory within data integrity or GxP requirements
- Experience in liaising with colleagues and collaborators at all levels
- Experience working in a team environment and independently while meeting project timelines
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record