Our Genomic Sciences (GS) department at GSK comprises of several disciplines that provide the deep scientific knowledge and technical capabilities required to discover and validate potential novel therapeutic targets through the application of extensive genetic analyses, high throughput genome editing and endophenotyping in well-characterized human cellular and in vivo models.
Together with the ability to draw on genotypic and phenotypic databases from our world-leading partnerships with the UK BioBank and 23andMe, and to interrogate the genome through internal and collaborative efforts with the Altius Institute, Open Targets, and the newly-created Laboratory of Genomics Research (LGR) with CRISPR pioneers Jennifer Doudna and Jonathan Weissman at the University of California, we aim to redefine how the industry approaches drug discovery to deliver transformative medicines for our patients.
An exciting opportunity is available with Genomic Sciences for a motivated scientific investigator to apply expertise in high content imaging to functional and chemo-genomic screens to identify new, high quality, de-risked drug targets. The successful candidate will work as a part of the global Imaging Team within the Translational Cell Sciences group in Genomic Sciences as well as with colleagues from other GS groups, automation teams, Medicine Design, the Research Units, AI/ML, Research Statistics, to design, execute, and analyze imaging endpoints in arrayed screens. Additionally, the successful candidate will contribute to new capability developments that allow the team to stay on the cutting edge of high content drug discovery.Key responsibilities:
Why you?Basic Qualifications:
- Independently design, implement, analyze, and interpret high content imaging assays to support multiparametric large-scale target identification arrayed screening across multiple disease areas (oncology, neurodegeneration & immunology).
- Work in an international matrix team environment to drive timely delivery of project and department objectives to the highest scientific standard.
- Maximize information content derived from imaging readouts through internal collaboration with AI/ML and Research Statistics teams.
- Clearly record in electronic lab notebooks and communicate study results at internal and external meetings.
- Contribute to the development of high content imaging community within Genomic Sciences and more widely within GSK.
- Commit to continual improvement by reading and applying the latest scientific literature, methodologies and technologies.
- Comply with all standards and practices of data integrity, ethics, and safety.
- Model GSK's values of patient-focus, respect, transparency, and integrity.
We are looking for motivated scientists with the following skills:
- BS + 5 years' experience, MS + 2-3 years' experience, or PhD + 0 years' experience, all degrees in biology, biomedical engineering, bioengineering, or related life science discipline.
- Extensive experience in confocal microscopy, high content imaging, image analysis.
- Experience with standard image analytics, secondary analysis packages, and data visualization tools (i.e. Image J/FIJI, Columbus/Harmony, Spotfire, Genedata Screener, etc). to analyze data from high content imaging screens.
- Basic biology experience (i.e. cell culture, simple supporting assays).
- Ability to independently design, execute and interpret high-quality experiments.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to support and influence projects.
- Fluent in 1 or more programming language; ability to write and run custom analysis scripts and debug code written by others. Experience with machine learning a plus.
- Experience running high throughput, high content screens (i.e. understanding of screening best practices, experience using automated liquid handling platforms).
- Previous experience in biotech and/or pharmaceutical drug discovery.
- Experience with PerkinElmer, GE/Cytiva/MolecularDevices, or Yokogawa high content imaging systems.
- Understanding or use of CRISPR technology.
- Experience with complex or 3D cellular models (stem cell platforms, organoids/spheroids, microfluidic devices).
- Experience working with primary immune cells, particularly in a screening context.
- Experience with high throughput flow cytometry and cell sorting.
- Evidence of leading new technology initiatives, working with commercial partners to evaluate and implement new technologies relevant to high content imaging.
- Strong communication skills; comfort presenting both virtually and in person.
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, initiative, and integrity.
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.*LI-GSK
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record