The Post doc, Predictive Product Design, will be part of a team developing advanced mathematical modeling approaches for understanding product performance and manufacturing processes for sterile & biopharm drug products to accelerate development, increase fundamental mechanistic understanding, and deliver more robust product design. This involves adopting a “predict first” approach through the development of mechanistic, empirical, and hybrid modeling methodologies to support product design and development.
Working in a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment, the successful candidate will develop, calibrate, and use engineering, biopharmaceutics, chemical and materials science knowledge to develop system models to enhance the mechanistic understanding of manufacturing processes, and in vivo product performance (PK). This position is an exciting opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of patients by focusing on the right product design through a “predict first” approach.Responsibilities:
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include the following:
- As part of matrix project teams, develop system models for process and product performance for sterile and biopharm drug products.
- Use engineering, chemical, biological and materials science knowledge to postulate mechanisms for physicochemical and biological processes and develop and / or modify existing mathematical models to describes those mechanisms.
- Stay current with new modeling techniques through publications, conferences, and academic and precompetitive collaborations.
- Further evolve modeling approaches for maximizing the positive impact on projects.
- Peer review modeling work from colleagues as appropriate, ensuring high quality standards for the modeling work.
- Promote and increase the reputation of the modeling internally within R&D and externally.
- Track progress against deliverables and maintain a communication plan with stakeholders and partners across departments.
- Advocate and comply with GMP requirements for recording experiments and associated data, and writing reports, including scientific review and data checking.
- Comply with the requirements of Quality, Safety, and GSK policies and procedures and ensure that GSK intellectual property is protected.
- Ph.D. in chemical, mechanical or biomedical engineering, physics, applied mathematics, scientific computing, or related field
- Familiarity with the challenges of drug discovery and forward thinking with respect to the general application of mathematical models in discovery and development
- Experience in identifying, developing, and applying innovative solutions to scientific and technological problems faced in systems modeling
- Knowledge and understanding of drug delivery, absorption, distribution and metabolism, pharmacology and toxicology, PK/PD modeling, physiological based modeling (PBPK) and translational sciences
- Experience in mechanism based mathematical modeling techniques
- Experience in building, validating, and using complex, system level models of biological and chemical systems
- Core competency in numerical analysis focusing on differential equations and parameter optimization
- Working knowledge of statistical and machine knowledge approaches
- Experience translating mathematical models into computer programs using Matlab, SimBiology, Python, or similar software tools
- Scientific curiosity and demonstrated ability to learn
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with scientists in other disciplines with a positive, collegial, collaborative attitude
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record