Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best-in-class medicines to patients around the world.
What You Will Achieve
Reporting to the Director of Tumor Biology, you will join our newly formed Tumor Fitness & Evolution group and lead a high caliber team of Scientists who are passionate about cancer biology and targeting novel mechanisms of cell phenotypic and genomic plasticity and drug resistance. Specifically, you will lead research to explore cancer biology associated with drug resistance and tumor heterogeneity in order to identify new candidate therapeutics aimed at novel targets and previously "undruggable" targets.
Your areas of responsibility will range from exploratory research through early clinical development. You will also collaborate with Scientists from other Oncology research divisions, and our partners in Medicinal Chemistry, Biomedicine Design, Drug Safety, and Clinical Oncology.
How You Will Achieve It
• Effectively design and guide execution of key experiments to address the basic and translational biology of novel drug targets, their molecular pathways, and their connection to human disease
• Apply broad expertise in cutting edge cancer discovery technologies to guide development of tools for advancing group projects, including cell models of disease (2D/3D), CRISPR technologies, single cell analysis, computational biology, characterization of small molecule inhibitors, and biomarkers
• Manage/lead a team of Scientists
• Ensure scientific rigor across the team and collaborate effectively with colleagues within and across departments to advance projects and achieve ORD goals
• Communicate effectively with partners across the company to guide research, make decisions, and effectively manage resources
• Contribute to a culture that values teamwork, collegiality, accountability, and continued learning and growth
• Proactively facilitate professional growth and scientific development of the team members
• Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. plus a minimum of 10 years of experience in cancer biology and/or cancer drug discovery
• Biopharmaceutical industry experience
• Experience with small molecule cancer drug discovery and development, preferably from target discovery through early clinical development, including translational studies
• Record of success in drug discovery/development and/or peer-reviewed publication of significant research findings
• Experience leading/managing and mentoring a team of Scientists
• Excellent organization and planning skills
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills
Relocation support available
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development