The purpose of the Senior Scientist
role is to ensure that calorimetry modes of material characterization are available, via a subject matter expert, and applied during the R&D product development process. Specifically, this position pertains to the R&D Product Chemistry function within the global GSK Consumer Healthcare business and supports the development of global brands.
Within the Product Chemistry group
function, this effort starts by using a breadth of characterization tools to consistently learn more about the various materials (i.e. from small molecules to large polymers) used to make our products. The ultimate goal is to understand how product chemistry specifically links to product performance. We do this by engaging unexpected technical issues that occur within the product development process. We prefer, when possible, to engage in the early phase product development activities so we can better maneuver through late stage issues with confidence. Additionally this enables our design team partners to make sound technical decisions from an evidence based approach. We accumulate and share our learnings back to the front end pipeline activities so we may expand our technical options to build better next generation products.
Reporting to the Product Chemistry Team Leader the Senior Scientist, in Richmond, will provide a reasonably well-rounded material characterization skill set where characterization and trouble-shooting strategies are designed and executed across the equipped laboratories (e.g. internal and external) accessible to the Product Chemistry group.
The ability to build trust and credibility with members of External Innovation, New Product Development, Regulatory Affairs and Quality Manufacturing operations is a must. It is expected that good laboratory practices are maintained
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following:Primary Role: Thermal Analysis
- This role will serve as the Product Chemistry Group subject matter expert in thermal analysis techniques such as DSC, TGA and microcalorimetry. Proficiency in rheology is a plus.
- Design and execute characterization experiments that contribute to problem solving and preformulation activities that may include:
- Characterization of materials to identify critical to quality attributes related to efficacy
- Raw material interactions and compatibility
- Prototype assessment
- Engage the way we re-cycle our learning from problem solving activities back to the ‘front end' of the pipeline; engage in the intellectual property strategy and actively seek discovery and innovation opportunities through the normal course of problem solving work.
- Effectively write technical reports, strategy documents, record of invention applications and external technical manuscripts. Ability to design experiments that align with Guidance Document expectations is a plus.
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Commit to ‘Listen and Learn' activities to discover competency strengths. Use these strengths to increase the effectiveness of how the Product Chemistry group contributes toward product development activities
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Graduate degree in Chemistry or Physics
- 2 + years experience PhD; 4 + years experience with MSc.
- Experience specifically working in a laboratory, where independent design of experiments were required to solve unexpected technical issues
- Experience in the product development process specifically with applying technical knowledge to practical applications
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Master's Degree or PhD
- Good communicator in both written and verbal communications
- Strong communication, negotiation and influencing skills
- Ability to take risk with confidence, foster new technology and partner with others
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
*This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record