Senior Scientist or Investigator, Molecular Histology, US Histology at GSK
At our world-class scientific hub Upper Providence, US, our Non-Clinical Histology department currently has an exciting career opportunity for a talented Molecular Histologist with a passion for science, multi-discipline integration, and applying their skill set to addressing human disease. We understand that the fewer barriers there are, the better our work can be. That is why we encourage an enterprising and highly collaborative approach to Discovery projects and Pre-Clinical programs.
Based at our R&D site in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania, USA, this role provides advanced molecular histology expertise to successfully develop and implement novel immuno- and molecular-based assays to achieve decisions to project timelines. Stereology expertise is desired to support all project areas.
This role will support internal non-clinical molecular histology needs from early Discovery into Development, working as part of a US team. The role will also require collaborative working with UK teams across the global non-clinical histology line and the wider Bioimaging. There will also be a requirement to develop and cross-train colleagues in all novel assays developed.Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Successfully developing and implementing single and low number (2-6 plex) multiplex immunohistochemistry /Immunofluorescence (IHC/IF), in situ hybridization (ISH) and dual IHC/ISH protocols on automated slide-based platforms, validating antibody clones and dilutions, antigen retrieval and signal amplification technologies to meet project timelines and requirements.
- Working in partnership with project teams to understand project issues, provide input and report data to matrix teams, including close networking with all imaging groups across GSK. Apply broad knowledge of science, drug discovery and histology/ molecular assays to guide experimental designs that deliver the best possible science.
- Applying existing molecular histology techniques (proteomics, qPCR and RT-PCR) alongside IHC/IF & ISH in frozen and formalin fixed paraffin embedded human and animal tissues as part of antibody/ISH probe optimisation & validation
- Working collaboratively with Discovery pathologists to identify project needs and develop tissue-based experiments to address project questions by agreed timelines.
- Supporting the use of digital histology image collection of slides and apply advanced image analysis algorithms using commercially available platforms (e.g. HALO, Aperio). Apply advanced data analysis and visualisation methods (Spotfire, Cytobank, Graph Pad etc) to deliver maximum impact from non-clinical histology data.
- Presenting data to represent non-clinical histology/Bioimaging in internal and external scientific seminars and publish scientific papers where appropriate.
- Where needed due to study size, provide additional necropsy support on a range of animal species and strains, including non-standard study designs, and provide accurate recording of necropsy data including macroscopic findings.
- Sharing responsibility for lab management, equipment maintenance, safety rep and similar roles.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- BS/MSc. In Biomedical sciences, cellular pathology, biology, biochemistry or immunology.
- Require HT/HTL certification from ASCP
- Successful application of single-plex & low (2-6 plex) multiplex (bright field/fluorescence) immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridisation assays to animal or human, fixed, or frozen tissues.
- Demonstrated Digital pathology expertise in tissue & cell based Image analysis using commercially available platforms/software
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Successful and considerable experience of application of stereology assessments applied in a pharmaceutical histology lab. Including providing guidance to project teams on the ideal stereology approach to deliver the best science, deliver stereological analyses using appropriate software and present data to project teams.
- Experience collaborating with CROs running external Stereology projects to ensure study is appropriately designed/powered and oversee quality control and all aspects of out-sourced work packages.
- QIHC certification is preferred
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.*LI-GSK
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record