An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced scientist or physician to lead a team of staff in GSK Consumer Healthcare's Consumer Safety team. This is an exciting time for Consumer Safety as we create and establish an independent safety & pharmacovigilance department for GSK Consumer Healthcare (CH) (soon to become Haleon). The global Consumer Safety team is responsible for supporting the diverse range of products (over-the-counter-medicines, cosmetics, medical devices, vitamin & mineral supplements) within the GSK Consumer Healthcare portfolio and for providing safety input to innovation projects for its leading brands. If you thrive in a fast-moving, energetic environment this role is for you.
The Senior Director, Safety Science (Pharmacovigilance) reports into the Head of Consumer Safety and is accountable for managing a team of safety professionals responsible for safety evaluation and risk management activities. The role is aligned to the North America business units as well as to specific product categories, including GSK CH's large range of vitamin & mineral supplements
As Senior Director, Safety Science (Pharmacovigilance), you will:
- Directly manage a team of six experienced physicians and scientists, including their recruitment, training, assessment, monitoring and development
- Provide leadership to safety professionals across the global Safety Science matrixed organization
- Ensure the safety strategy delivered by the team for assigned products is aligned with our proportionate framework for product vigilance
- Act as point of contact for senior stakeholders in the North America business units providing guidance and direction on safety topics and activities
- Be a member of the senior product governance committee and make delegated decisions for North America business units
- Be part of the Consumer Safety leadership team setting & implementing the strategy for the department and sponsoring process improvement projects
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Provide strategic leadership by setting clear expectations & providing hands-on guidance to Safety Science staff, promoting collaboration and team cohesiveness
- Ensure that Safety Science staff meet safety monitoring needs based on regulatory requirements and company standards for product safety vigilance
- Ensure that a fit-for-purpose approach is followed by Safety Science staff while delivering safety objectives and developing risk minimization strategies
- Provide appropriate oversight for product safety issues within the assigned therapeutic area and regionally driven innovation projects
- Collaborate with clinical, medical, quality, regulatory counterparts and other business functions to provide input and oversight on product safety topics
- Provide guidance to North American business units on safety activities, either directly or via R&D Business Unit Lead
- Lead process improvement initiatives within the Safety Science and broader Consumer Safety organization, including technology assessment and implementation
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor's Degree in Life Sciences or Medical Degree
- The successful candidate will be a physician, pharmacist or life-sciences graduate with 10-15 years of experience in drug safety or other relevant field, such as clinical development, regulatory or medical affairs, a working knowledge of key pharmacovigilance regulations and methodologies and experience of people management.
- Experience adjusting behaviors and priorities based on changing environment
- Well-developed decision making, influencing and negotiation skills.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
Why Consumer Healthcare?
- Doctor of Medicine or Advanced Degree in Science
- Broad experience of pharmacovigilance including post-marketing safety and consumer healthcare products
- Experience of different product types and PV activities, e.g. Prescription to Over-The-Counter (OTC) switches, US NDA submissions, monograph products, medical devices, cosmetics, dietary supplements
- Excellent leadership skills both for direct teams and in the matrix environment
- Proven ability to build effective partnerships with senior stakeholders with highly developed influencing skills
- Demonstrated ability to think tactically and strategically and take account of internal/external environment when making decisions on complex product issues
- Ability to engage in, and contribute to the broad R&D organization with confidence, impact, integrity and professionalism
- Proven ability to contribute innovative ideas to address new issues or improve approaches to existing operations
Right now, we're on an incredible journey as we prepare to become the first independent, 100% focused consumer healthcare company. We're doing this at a time when the work we do has never mattered more. Better everyday health is about improving the health and wellness of the consumers that we touch every year - over a billion and a half of them - and it goes beyond products. It's about truly helping people manage their health proactively in different ways as consumer needs evolve.
With category leading brands such as Sensodyne, Voltaren and Centrum, built on trusted science and human understanding, and combined with our passion, knowledge and expertise, we're uniquely placed to do this and to grow a strong, successful business.
This is an exciting time to join us and help shape the future. It's an opportunity to be part of something special. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
In Consumer Healthcare we embrace our diverse workforce by creating an inclusive environment that celebrates our unique perspectives, generates curiosity to create unmatched understanding of each other, and promotes fair and equitable outcomes for everyone.
We're striving to create a climate where we celebrate our diversity in all forms by treating each other with respect, listening to different viewpoints, supporting our communities, and creating a workplace where your authentic self belongs and thrives.
*LI-GSK *This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements.