Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.ROLE SUMMARY
As a Senior Scientist, you will be at the center of our operations and you'll find that everything we do, every day, is in line with an unwavering commitment to quality. You will join a larger team of scientists focused on developing and optimizing recovery and purification processes for various vaccine candidates for Early Bioprocess Development group at Pearl River, NY. You will leverage your experience in laboratory research to develop robust, efficient, scalable strategies for improving process performance.
You will be recognized as a technical expert and a scientific contributor. With your deep knowledge of the discipline, you will be an active team member whose decisions impact the project. You will develop and perform diverse purification/recovery operations required to optimize the production of vaccine candidates using broad range of fractionation methods (centrifugation, depth filtration, ultra / diafiltration, etc.), and chromatographic techniques (affinity, ion exchange, hydrophobic interaction, mixed mode chromatography, etc.). You will also develop and perform analysis / characterization of isolated macromolecules with various bioanalytical methodologies.
In addition, you will summarize, evaluate the study results, develop and test new hypotheses to improve the fundamental understanding of recovery and purification processes. You will undertake mentoring activities to guide team members.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform process development, process characterization, and scale-up recovery/purification for the preparation of vaccine candidates up to pilot plant scale.
- Independently plan and execute experiments for the recovery/purification of vaccine candidates, and lead the development on special projects, when required.
- Present problems and propose solutions in discussion with group members. Offers insights based on experience to group members to help solve problems.
- Critically evaluate own and others' results to determine if processes are optimal or if improvement should be made.
- Participate the technology transfer of developed process to the clinical manufacturing site, both internally and externally, and provide the technical support as needed.
- Present periodic status updates to the group. Prepare technical reports, as needed.
- Execute analyses to characterize products. Assist in developing new assays and adapt existing assays to new materials. Discuss analytical issues with team members to help advance objectives.
- Continuously evaluate each process and technique to determine if it is robust, appropriate and scalable. If an operation has shortcomings or can be improved, uses expertise and imagination to suggest improvements.
- Fully document laboratory experiments in electronic notebook in a timely and compliant manner.
- May be required to work on non-standard hours.
OTHER JOB DETAILS
- PhD degree in Biochemical/Chemical Engineering or related discipline with minimum 2 years related experience or a relevant MS degree with minimum of 15 years relevant experience
- Experience in recovery and purification processes and at least 1 year experience in the industrial/academic process development environment
- Experience with process scale-up and protein and/or polysaccharide analytical techniques.
- Possess advanced knowledge and experience of scientific / engineering principles, practices and concepts and able to apply them to the development work.
- Good written and verbal communication capabilities.
- Self-motivated, organized, and capable of working independently and in a collaborative environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Eligible for Relocation Package
Eligible for Employee Referral BonusPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development