We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist to work on new treatments to address the threat of infectious diseases by joining our growing Infectious Diseases Research Unit (IDRU) at Upper Providence, PA. The IDRU is an established department in the R&D organization at GSK responsible for the discovery of novel therapies to treat infectious diseases and progressing them to clinical proof-of-concept studies. The Research Unit has an impactful portfolio of projects in hepatitis B, bacterial infections and viral respiratory infections (including COVID-19) along with collaborations with Vir Biotechnology and 23andMe.
The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting cell and molecular biology experiments to progress drug discovery projects targeting defined mechanisms of infectious diseases. Particular areas of focus include in vitro cell-based infection assays with primary and immortalized cell lines and organoid models using biochemical and molecular techniques. In addition, the successful candidate may be expected to contribute to new assay development, the establishment and characterization of target validation studies, and mechanistic elucidation of molecules arising from high throughout library screens in the discovery of new anti-infective medicines.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following…
Why you?Basic Qualifications:We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Coordinates with project leaders and other scientists to plan and execute experiments
- Works collaboratively on aspects of experiments to be performed by other members of the team
- Contributes to driving the scientific direction
- Interprets results and designs follow-on experiments based on interpretation of results
- Performs complex data management tasks with minimal supervision
- Prepares detailed oral or written summaries of results with interpretation for projects/programs; independently writes specific technical sections of internal and external reports
- Assumes responsibility for posting data, tracking usage of reagents, maintaining updated electronic lab notebook records
- Assists in presenting, publishing, or patenting data as needed
Preferred Qualifications:If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- BS with 3-5+ yrs of research experience with a background in cell and molecular biology
- Experience utilizing in vitro cell culture and/or immune cellular models.
- Candidates must have experience in:
- Cellular/molecular biology and immunology assays (e.g., ELISA, Western blotting, qRT-PCR, transfection, immunofluorescence, flow cytometry).
- Previous experience handling viruses (e.g influenza, rhinovirus, RSV)
- Data handling software (e.g. Spotfire, GraphPad)
- MS degree (1-3+ yrs. experience) with a background in cell and molecular biology and >2 years' experience in industry
- Experience with:
- Preclinical drug discovery
- Manipulation of primary cell cultures including in vitro models of human airway epithelium cultured at the air liquid interface (ALI)
- Viral infection and assay protocols
- Liquid handling equipment/automation and other technical equipment
- Candidate must be a highly motivated self-starter, with excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to work effectively individually and in team and matrix environments
- Prior assay development and validation experience
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong work ethic with desire to carry out independent hypothesis generation and testing
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
*Li-GSK *This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record