GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
The Novel Human Genetics Research Unit (NHG RU) at GSK comprises a multidisciplinary biology team that utilizes deep scientific knowledge and technical capabilities to identify and validate novel therapeutic targets with human genetic association to diseases and undertake drug discovery efforts from early stage discovery through to phase 1 clinical trials. The NHG RU conducts drug discovery across a range of therapeutic areas including neuroscience, cardiovascular, renal, and metabolic diseases.
We are seeking to hire a highly motivated biologist to fill a Senior Scientist position in the Novel Human Genetics Research Unit in R&D. The successful candidate will be part of a multidisciplinary team to establish and characterize cellular models derived from induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), and to perform genetic perturbations (KD, KO, KI, overexpression) in iPSCs or iPSC-derived cells for drug discovery applications. The scientist will have the opportunity to work on targets and pathways relevant to a variety of human diseases and therapeutic areas. Details ( Your Responsibilities )
Why You?Basic Qualifications:
- Conduct iPSC culturing, differentiation, and characterization.
- Utilize viral or non-viral delivery methods to achieve gene knockdwon or overexpression in iPSCs or iPSC-derived cells.
- Perform cellular assays for characterization of iPSC-derived cellular models
- Conduct RT-PCR, ELISA, Western, high content imaging, or reporter assays.
- Design and conduct experiments, analyze and report experimental data using a variety of laboratory instruments and computer softwares.
- Compliance with GSK policies including safety, electronic laboratory notebooks, and data integrity
- Maintain knowledge of relevant literature, and effectively incorporate knowledge and technology to positively impact projects.
- Clear communication of study results and with matrix teams
- BS in Biological Sciences
- Two or more years of laboratory experience in molecular biology and/or cell biology.
- Two or more years of experience in cell culturing and genetic manipulation techniques including siRNA KD and gene overexpression.
- Two or more years of experience conducting cell-based assays (e.g. immune-sandwich, reporter gene assay, etc.).
- Two or more years of experience analyzing, summarizing, and interpreting experimental data and maintaining accurate/legible records.
If you have one of the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- MS in Biological Sciences
- Experience on iPSC differentiation into hepatocytes or a neural cell type
- Ability to execute experiments independently and work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Experience using viral vectors
- Experience with CRISPR genome editing technologies
- Experience with FACS cell analysis
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.*LI-GSK
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record