We are seeking a highly motivated Scientific Director to work on new treatments to address the threat of infectious diseases by joining our growing Infectious Diseases Research Unit (IDRU). The IDRU is one of the Research Units within GSK's R&D organisation and is responsible for the discovery of novel approaches and targets to treat human infectious diseases and progressing them to early clinical development studies. The Research Unit has an impactful portfolio of projects in Hepatitis B, bacterial infections and viral respiratory infections (including COVID-19), as well as collaborations with Vir Biotechnology and 23andMe.
In this leadership role, you will assume immediate responsibility for managing an established biology team as well as for leading drug discovery projects targeting host mechanisms for the treatment of bacterial and viral infections. You will work in a multidisciplinary, collaborative, and scientifically driven environment, interacting with scientists across the Research Unit and the broader R&D organization.Your demonstrated expertise in leading drug discovery programmes, coupled with an understanding of infectious diseases and immunology, will enable you and your team to progress a portfolio of innovative host targets and research projects in this area.
As a leader you will be expected to interact productively and in an enterprise fashion with teams across the Research Unit as well as with other GSK functions like Human Genetics, Discovery Medicine and Medicine Design and our external alliance partners such as Vir. The role will also involve establishing external collaborations and representing the organisation externally. To this end, you will need to be a strong communicator and able to work and drive positive collaborative interactions with your peers and encourage similar behaviors in your team.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include the following:
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Managing a team of scientists to identify, validate and progress novel host targets for the treatment and prevention of bacterial and viral infections.
- Leading drug discovery projects from conception to candidate selection and beyond by defining the critical path and timelines, Go / No Go decision points, determining resource requirements, and representing the programmes to senior leaders.
- Participating in the evaluation of novel targets and opportunities emerging from collaborations and business development activities.
- Accountability for the development and mentoring of scientists within the reporting line.
- Building and fostering relationships across groups in the Research Unit and contributing to the strategic direction of the Research Unit.
- Engaging the external scientific community through building a network of key opinion leaders, participating in scientific conferences and publishing papers.
- Developing the company's intellectual property portfolio through the preparation and filing of patent applications.
- Ensuring quality and compliance with GSK values and policies.
- Fostering a culture of scientific rigour and continuous improvement in line with the Innovation Performance and Trust (IPT) strategy at GSK.
We are looking for professionals with these required qualifications to achieve our goals:
- Ph.D. in a relevant discipline
- 10+ years of postdoctoral research experience.
- 7+ years of R&D experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
- Experience managing and developing a team of scientists, biologists, etc.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- 10+ years of R&D experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
- Track-record of scientific innovation as demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications, conference presentations or patents.
- Expertise in identifying, selecting, and validating novel drug targets.
- Experience of successfully leading multi-disciplinary project teams to deliver innovative lead molecules and candidate medicines.
- Experience of implementing new scientific approaches, innovative technologies, and experimental techniques.
- Subject matter expertise in infectious diseases.
- Experience in making data-driven decisions on the progression of novel targets and molecules by integrating biology with clinical need and feasibility, competition, commercial opportunity, and return on investment.
- Experience in the discovery and development of non-small-molecule modalities, such as monoclonal antibodies, oligonucleotides, or aptamers.
- Ability to foster a culture of innovation, teamwork, performance, and trust.
- Existing network of academic collaborators and CROs.
- Experience of researching host targets for infectious diseases or the host response to infection.
- Strong self-motivation, capable of multi-tasking but with attention to detail, working on multiple projects in different phases of research, and delivering on objectives on time and to budget.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour, and risk.
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record