GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to deliver strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
The Novel Human Genetics Research Unit (NHG RU) at GSK comprises a multidisciplinary biology team that utilizes deep scientific knowledge and technical capabilities to identify and validate novel therapeutic targets with human genetic association to diseases and undertake drug discovery efforts from early-stage discovery through to Phase 1 clinical trials. The NHG RU conducts drug discovery across a range of therapeutic areas including neuroscience, cardiovascular, renal, and metabolic diseases.
We are seeking to hire a highly motivated laboratory-based
biologist in the Novel Human Genetics Research Unit to join our multidisciplinary team. The scientist will conduct integrative pharmacology experiments that drive the discovery of medicines. The scientist will also support preclinical efforts for target validation, lead optimization, and may also support clinical programs. There will be opportunities to work on targets and pathways relevant to a variety of human diseases and therapeutic areas. Key Responsibilities:
Why You? Basic Qualifications:
- Deliver pharmacology experiments primarily in rodents to support drug discovery programs across multiple therapeutic areas (e.g. pain, neuroscience, cardiovascular, inflammation, metabolism)
- Experience in rodent handling, dosing, blood and tissue collection, and measurements of biological function
- Experience in designing experiments, generating, recording, analyzing, and presenting data. Skills in interpreting results and drawing conclusions through independent working and with supervision
- Able to resolve technical challenges and deliver results efficiently
- Effective communication (both verbal and written) of scientific ideas and results to internal groups and program teams
- Ability to work independently as well as in a matrix environment
- Work under supervision with opportunity to develop greater independence
- BS or MS degree in Biology or related area
- 1 - 3 years of research experience either in industry or an academic environment
- Exposure to in vivo biology techniques such as those for the identification of analgesics, neurodegeneration, cardiovascular function, inflammation, and/or metabolism
- Experience in rodent handling and use, dosing, formulation, tissue harvest, and blood sampling
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software and maintaining laboratory notebooks
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, communication, and organizational skills
- Experience in a variety of in vivo studies/techniques to probe disease relevant mechanisms for nociception, neurodegeneration, cardiovascular function, and/or metabolism
- Able to translate hypotheses to in vivo study design through independent working and/or with supervision
- The individual should have evidence of recent learning on the job and application of their new skill.
- Good graphing and statistical analysis skills including use of GraphPad Prism.
- Industry drug discovery experience
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggest changes we've made to our business in over 20 years. We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022: New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of disease together - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients - so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact - with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record