About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope's translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope's specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation's "Best Hospitals" in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.City of Hope's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.Position Summary
The Cook I will accurately and efficiently prepare, portion, cook, and present a variety of hot and/or cold food items for various meal periods: to include Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Special/Catered Events. The general responsibilities of the position include those listed below, but City of Hope may identify other responsibilities of the position.Key Responsibilities include:
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Prepares and cooks ‘to order' foods that may require short preparation time.
- May prepare food and serve customers at an a la carte and may operate a grill station.
- Prepares food in accordance with current applicable federal, state and City of Hope standards,guidelines and regulations to ensure high-quality food service is provided.
- Reads food order or receives verbal instructions on food required by patron and prepares andcooks food according to instructions.
- May prepare meals for customers requiring special diets.
- Provides excellent customer service at all times.
- Follows basic recipes and/or product directions for preparing, seasoning, cooking, tasting, carving andserving soups, meats, vegetables, desserts and other foodstuffs for consumption in eatingestablishments. Prepares foods under direct supervision or instruction by operating a variety of kitchenequipment to measure and mix ingredients, washing, peeling, cutting and shredding fruits andvegetables, and trimming and cutting meat, poultry or fish for culinary use. May produce some batchgoods using basic cooking techniques.
- Tastes products, reads menus, estimates food requirements, checks production, and keeps records toaccurately plan production requirements and requisition supplies and equipment.
- May clean and sanitize work stations and equipment and must follow all City of Hope and regulatoryrules and procedures.
- Attends all allergy and foodborne illness in-service training. Participates in regular safety meetings,safety training and hazard assessments. Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) asdesignated.
- May receive inventory and move/lift foodstuffs and supplies.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures and reports allaccidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performanceimprovement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherenceto the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.
- Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience.
- 0 to 2 years of related work experience.
- Knowledge of basic operation of equipment and cash-handling procedures preferred.
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
- This position is part of a collective bargaining agreement.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.