Investigator, Medicinal Chemistry (High Throughput Experimentation) Location:
This is an on-site lab-based role located in Upper Providence, PA or Stevenage, UK.
The Discovery High Throughput Chemistry (DHTC) group within Medicinal Chemistry is currently looking for motivated and talented chemists to join our team. Our department is responsible for discovering high-quality small molecule drug candidates to address increasingly complex disease areas. In partnership with GSK's research units, Medicinal Chemistry manages a portfolio of diverse drug-discovery projects from hit generation through to candidate selection. The purpose of the role is to provide a high level of scientific and technical contributions to projects within the Medicinal Chemistry portfolio with a primary responsibility of driving efficiencies applying GSK's high throughput experimentation (HTE) platforms through the lens of utilizing the newest technologies in HTE and automation to help invent new processes, systems, and chemistries. The successful candidate will work collaboratively across teams of synthetic chemists, analytical chemists, engineers, and data analytics experts to help invent these new processes and chemistries to solve impactful problems that will accelerate delivery of important medicinal advancements to patients.
Successful candidates must be able to think creatively, champion the needs of the organization and work collaboratively within a team environment. This lab-based role will be expected to demonstrate synthetic chemistry contributions while embedded within program teams or technology development objectives. The successful candidate will also be trained to incorporate data analytic systems, design singleton or arrays of compounds to test medicinal chemistry hypotheses, and enable synthetic efforts through inception, optimization, and execution of synthetic routes .
This role will provide you the opportunity to develop key skills to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Design and develop novel automation techniques for HTE-supported applications within Medicinal Chemistry to support progression of GSK's portfolio of programs.
- Identify opportunities to accelerate program objectives through implementation of automation and HTE techniques while applying principles of medicinal chemistry
- Be an excellent team player within a matrixed organization, working cross-functionally across other departments including but not limited to engineering automation, analytical chemistry, process chemistry, sample management, and molecular biology/assay sciences.
- Application of modern cheminformations and data analytic approaches to analysis and design of experiments.
- Communication of key results and data to stakeholders and senior managements when necessary
- Interpretation of emerging data and independently propose a modification of plans or hypotheses accordingly.
- Be responsible for patent and publication write-ups when appropriate.
- Ph.D. in organic chemistry with related research experience or a Bachelor's/Master's with >5 years industrial experience and demonstrated proficiency in HTE
- Expertise in modern synthetic organic chemistry methods and mechanistic analysis.
- Execution of multi-step syntheses
- Record of peer-reviewed publications, patents, or presentations
- High-throughput experimentation experience
- Expertise in flow chemistry, electrochemistry, and/or photoredox chemistry
- Examples of engineering technology platforms to deliver on projects
- Experience or interest in learning data analytics, cheminformatics, and/or programming (SQL, Python, etc.)
- For Ph.D. applicants, postdoctoral experience and/or 1-5 years industrial experience
- Track record of working effectively in a team environment
Values and Expectations
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Strong interpersonal skills
- High learning agility and curiosity to learn and adopt new technologies
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and a focus on quality results
- Self-aware; seeks ways to improve personal and scientific skills
- Has the courage to take on ambitious goals and move forward at pace.
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.Where We Are
GSK's US R&D Hub is located in Upper Providence, PA in the Philadelphia suburbs. Just 35 miles from Philadelphia International Airport, the Upper Providence site is home to over 3,000 of our R&D staff. With the concentration of such a large number of scientists you will find a culture that inspires innovation and collaboration, emphasizes professional development, and maintains a strong focus on the patients that are at the end of everything we do. GSK enjoys the proximity to renowned educational and medical research institutions in Philadelphia, recently dubbed “Cellicon Valley” for the emergence in the medical research and biotech sector with the city and surrounding areas. Recognized in 2019 by National Geographic as one of America's Top Cities, Philadelphia offers a revolutionary opportunity for you to live, work, and play within a short commute from GSK.
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class. Subject to approval of reasonable request, GSK is a modern employer and offers flexible working hours and conditions. *LI-GSK
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record