Investigator, Discovery Genomics, Upper Providence
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better, and live longer.
We are seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic biologist skilled in wet lab genomic techniques to work within the Genomics Sciences department at our Upper Providence, Pennsylvania research site. As part of the Discovery Genomics group within the Omics Division of Genomics Sciences, you would join us in working to decipher the genetic clues underlying human disease, thereby accelerating the path to new and better medicines for discovery and validating novel disease targets, understanding mechanisms of drug action and resistance, and identifying potential combination targets.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated contributions to data generation and will involve the development, implementation, and interpretation of advanced genomic, epigenomic, and transcriptomic methods, including troubleshooting technical and scientific issues both individually and as part of a team. Preferred qualifications include experience in a drug discovery/development setting and expertise in immunology, oncology, or a related life-sciences discipline.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Executing NGS protocols including single cell and bulk genomic, epigenomic, and transcriptomic workflows.
- Providing expert-level knowledge relating to experimental design and technical issues in a highly matrixed R&D environment.
- Assisting in data pre-processing, quality control, and analysis.
- Effectiveness in multidisciplinary teams, including excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Continuous review of existent and emerging literature and professional development opportunities, maintaining knowledge of contemporary and new techniques.
- A proactive attitude, excellent organizational skills, and fastidious record keeping.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MS with 5 years in genomics, molecular and cellular biology, or a related discipline; with extensive experience in next generation sequencing
- Experience in aspects of next generation sequencing and related Omics technologies including sample handling and processing, library preparation, and instrumentation, supported with documentation and publications
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Ph.D. in genomics, molecular and cellular biology, or a related discipline experience in next generation sequencing experience.
- Good understanding of genome biology and contemporary techniques in molecular and cell biology, including single cell techniques
- Experience in single cell genomics/transcriptomics techniques from cell isolation to library preparation
- Capability to design experiments, solve problems independently, troubleshoot protocols, and implement novel omics studies/protocols.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Strong organizational and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to liaise with scientists at all levels of seniority.
- Experience with automated sample handling/preparation
- Experience in NGS data Analysis
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record