Scientific Leader/Manager, Medicinal Chemistry (Upper Providence, PA)
We are currently looking for highly motivated organic chemists to join our Medicinal Chemistry team in suburban Philadelphia. Our group partners with program teams across GSK's research units to deliver high quality small molecules, from hit generation through late-stage lead optimization. The purpose of the role is to provide scientific and people leadership to teams within the Medicinal Chemistry Department and/or multi-disciplinary teams across GSK's R&D organization. You will coordinate and deploy conventional and parallel chemistry resources from the hit-to-lead phase through to candidate selection across several major programs in support of GSK's Research, Oncology or Global Health small-molecule portfolios. This person will be responsible for managing the delivery of the science of their team, driving the technology strategies within Medicinal Chemistry programs, and will be responsible for each team member's personal development. The team leader must be able to think flexibly, be driven by the needs of the organization and work collaboratively. Continuous improvement of themselves, the team and the department is a key requirement of the position. The role will also involve implementation of program data analytics, designing arrays of compounds to test medicinal chemistry hypotheses, designing and executing synthetic routes and leading technological advances in the field.The role aligns with GSKs leadership expectations and acting as a role model for others.
This role will provide you the opportunity to lead key activities to progress your career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Accountability for the overarching scientific strategy and resourcing for their team to deliver value to Medicinal Chemistry programs.
- Scientific leadership of a program within GSK's medicinal chemistry portfolio.
- Advocate and implement high throughput chemistry principles when needed by coordinating and contributing to the molecular design strategies across active and emerging programs from early to late discovery stages. Support early targets and lead discovery efforts through the application of modern parallel synthesis technologies.
- Lead by example through the application of best practices, including computational tools, high-throughput chemistry and automation.
- Contribute to peer reviews of programs within the Medicinal Chemistry portfolio
- Lead and motivate their teams with vision, integrity, flexibility and clear communication.
- Responsibility for the scientific and personal development of 0-5 direct reports.
- Responsibility to embody and enforce full compliance with safety guidelines and standard operating procedures
- Responsibility to embody and enforce full compliance with GSK data integrity guidelines
- Serve as a coach and/or mentor for individuals within Medicinal Chemistry.
- Support of patent and publication write-ups as needed
- PhD in chemistry or related field.
- 4+ years' experience in pharmaceutical discovery.
- Demonstrated knowledge of chemoinformatic tools and techniques with application within medicinal chemistry programs.
- Expertise in synthetic chemistry; knowledgeable in the application of new synthetic methodology and execution of multi-step syntheses and demonstrated problem-solving abilities.
- Strong record of peer-reviewed publications, patents, or presentations.
- Experience in devising screening strategies using various hit identification tactics and application of modern analytics and triage strategies to delivery multiple starting points for lead optimization
- Demonstrated leadership within a team setting
- Experience in applying high-throughput or parallel synthesis technologies to accelerate discovery processes
- Experience designing and evaluating compound sets to adequately assess medicinal chemistry hypotheses
- Detailed knowledge of modern cheminformatics tools and technologies
- Evidence of application of innovative synthetic chemistry to solve problems
Values and Expectations
- Self-aware; seeks ways to improve personal and scientific skills
- An ability to work with other scientific disciplines to drive results
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High learning agility and curiosity to learn and adopt new technologies
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.Where We Are
GSK's US R&D Hub is located in Upper Providence, PA in the Philadelphia suburbs. Just 35 miles from Philadelphia International Airport, the Upper Providence site is home to over 3,000 of our R&D staff. With the concentration of such a large number of scientists you will find a culture that inspires innovation and collaboration, emphasizes professional development, and maintains a strong focus on the patients that are at the end of everything we do. GSK enjoys the proximity to renowned educational and medical research institutions in Philadelphia, recently dubbed “Cellicon Valley” for the emergence in the medical research and biotech sector with the city and surrounding areas. Recognized in 2019 by National Geographic as one of America's Top Cities, Philadelphia offers a revolutionary opportunity for you to live, work, and play within a short commute from GSK.*LI-GSK
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record