We are building a state-of-the-art
end to end Biopharm capability which delivers efficient discovery
of antibody and small molecules that are selected and engineered for rapid development so that, together with our therapy area partners, we discover, develop and manufacture
novel portfolio of exciting medicines
to benefit patients around the world.
If you aim to be part of a global cutting edge drug development and discovery organization
and are motivated to contribute towards bringing lifesaving drugs to patients
, join us!
Click to know more about GSK Biopharm. #GSKBiopharm_Development
GSK is seeking a highly motivated scientist with an established track record to join the multidisciplinary Encoded Library Technologies (ELT) team. As a member of the ELT Biophysics Group, you will use DNA encoded chemical libraries (DELs) to identify small molecule ligands to support drug discovery programs across GSK. Specifically, you will be accountable for defining the strategy and executing related workplans to further build the capabilities of the ELT platform. Additionally, you will represent the ELT Biophysics group on cross-functional project teams and ensure high-quality affinity selections produce decision-making datasets.
The successful candidate will have substantial experience in biophysics and biochemistry. Hands on experience with biophysical (e.g., MST, SPR, switchSENSE) and biochemical (e.g., affinity purification, chromatography, SDS-PAGE, ASMS) techniques are required. Experience with membrane-bound proteins, RNA aptamers, and/or computational biophysics (e.g., MD, course graining) is highly desired. This experience could be from an academic, biotechnology, or pharmaceutical industry setting. A strategic thinker who has demonstrated the ability to work in a team environment is critical, including effective communication, prioritization, and organizational skills, a strong desire to succeed, and the ability to deliver on time.
GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines both individual talent & technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better, & live longer. GSK is headquartered in London, UK with operations in the US; this opening is located at the Cambridge, MA, USA site.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following…
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Accountable for the strategy, design, execution, and data analysis of biophysical assays associated with DNA-encoded library screens with the goals of identifying small molecule hits for genetically validated targets and improving ELT platform capabilities
- Represent the Encoded Library Technologies (ELT) team on multidisciplinary drug discovery and platform development project teams
- Develop a deep understanding of affinity-based screening and contribute to the advancement of the ELT platform to enable delivery of small molecule hits that builds off GSK's investments in genetics, the immune system, and AI/ML.
- Accountable for computational biophysical analyses associated with improving ELT platform capabilities
- Work independently while being part of a larger team, including networking with GSK colleagues across multiple R&D sites
- Contribute to publications, presentations, and collaborations that enhance the visibility of the team
- Ensure compliance with all GSK R&D data integrity practices, ethics codes, work practice training and standards.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD or an MS with 3+ years of experience e biophysics, biochemistry, or related science fields.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Demonstrated an ability to formulate and implement a strategic research plan to achieve departmental level objectives.
- Demonstrated an ability to work in multidisciplinary teams, displaying excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication, including publication(s) in peer reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences.
- Experience researching biophysical properties of and binding of ligands to endogenously expressed membrane proteins, protein complexes, and/or other similar protein targets.
- Hands-on experience with affinity selection screening techniques, especially DELs, but also SELEX or phage display, or experience with affinity purification techniques.
- Strong data literacy, analysis, and visualization skills of large data sets, especially related to small molecule screening outcomes. Experience with R, python, or equivalent, and/or Spotfire is highly desirable.
- Hands-on experience with robotic liquid handlers (e.g., Agilent Bravo) is a plus.
- Demonstrated strengths in high performance behaviors, such as building relationships, flexible thinking, and enabling/driving change.
- Demonstrated strong scientific leadership.
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Healthcare, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the most significant changes we've made to our business in over 20 years. We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact
- with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record