GSK is seeking a proactive chemist to join Drug Substance Development at our US R&D Hub located in Upper Providence, PA. Our Drug Substance Development group supports the small molecule portfolio in GSK Pharma R&D with an inter-disciplinary team of process chemists, chemical engineers, and materials science
experts by developing the synthetic routes and associated manufacturing processes that turn those molecules into medicines. Through our network of 86 manufacturing sites, each year we produce nearly 4 billion packs of medicine, and we are committed to widening access to our products so that more people may benefit. A successful applicant will have an excellent practical and theoretical understanding of synthetic organic chemistry or a relevant technology and can design and execute high quality, thoughtful experimentation, while making significant contributions both independently and as a member of a team.
As a member of Drug Substance Development, you will use your chemistry knowledge and expertise to develop new chemistry routes for primary manufacture and contribute to the development and deployment of state-of-the-art processes and technologies to enable the delivery of our medicines. This is a highly practical role where you will be working in the R&D laboratories to generate new synthetic routes and process understanding that underpins the successful scale-up and commercial industrialization of GSK's future manufacturing processes. Your focus will be to combine the information generated in laboratory studies with your strong knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry to develop sustainable pharmaceutical manufacturing routes and processes.
As projects advance through development, pilot plant support may also be required across scales, culminating in the transfer of projects to our commercial manufacturing facilities around the globe. The role is highly technical and dynamic as you will be working in a number of multi-disciplinary project teams. You will thrive in this environment if you are able to effectively manage multiple priorities, communicate your recommendations clearly, and enjoy working in teams. Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Designing and performing experiments in a laboratory setting to meet project timelines and objectives.
- Thinking creatively to generate new ideas for new synthetic routes and simplifying process problems.
- Ensuring that experimental work is communicated effectively at internal R&D meetings.
- Participating in technology transfer activities as appropriate to our manufacturing partners Pharma Supply Chain (PSC), other parts of R&D, and partner Contract Manufacturing Organizations (CMOs).
- Authoring or contributing to regulatory submissions, patents, scientific papers and other internal documentation relevant to the role.
- Complying with applicable Data Integrity, Quality, cGMP and regulatory requirements in all aspects of work.
- Experience in multistep synthesis of complex organic molecules
- Experience with high throughput experimentation for reaction optimization and process development activities is a plus, but not required.
- Experience with Design of Experiments (DoE) is a plus, but not a requirement.
- Experience in implementation of basic kinetic characterization of organic reactions is a plus, but not required.
- Expertise in state-of-the art synthetic organic chemistry
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Scientific record demonstrating excellence in chemistry (e.g., publications, patents, or presentations)
- Experience in independent planning and execution of experiments
- Experience in independent interpretation of data from experiments and using it to make meaningful conclusions/decisions regarding the direction of future experimentation
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record